Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Drive (XP Pro SP-1)

Although this question starts with hardware, it seems to be XP related. Trying to make a long story short, I bought a Belkin Ultra ATA/133 PCI card because I thought my secondary IDE channel was faulty. I have a THIRD hard drive connected to the card's Primary connector, as a Master. I have my Sony CD Burner connected to the card's Secondary connector, also as a Master. The drivers are installed and as you can see in the screenshot from Device Manager, correctly it would seem. However, that 3rd hard drive which should be showing up in Explorer and elsewhere as DRIVE E: is not showing it's head. See also in the screenshot that XP "thinks" it's a SCSI device and that's probably the problem. I have tested the burner by burning a CD a short while ago, no problem. If I boot my system with my boot floppy (Win98SE custom) FDISK also sees that drive, but for some reason it shows up as the second drive. While on that point, I can even do a successful DIR of the disk from this DOS boot. Anyone know what knob I should turn next? BTW, even though I don't think it's necessary, I have disabled the Secondary IDE chain on the motherboard's BIOS.

Thanks

Re: Missing Drive (XP Pro SP-1)

Al,
    Seeing that drive as a SCSI is normal for those add on PCI cards. I havehad a Promise Technology card in my system at one time to get another card slot for an additional drive. XP "sees" that as SCSI and Promise advises that is the way it should be. It does see the drive letter as the next in line and I did not have any problem with it at all. I no longer have the card installed because I eventually upgraded to a larger HD and didn't need the extra one any more.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you looked for the drive in disk management. If not then try Right Clicking my computer > Manage > select Disk Management in the left hand pane. Check that you see the disk drive, and what sort of partitions there are on it.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I went to Disk Mgmt the very first thing and this is what I saw. I did the other looking later. While in Disk Manager, I told it to rescan all disks which took it a minute or two, but nothing found. What's so surprising is that the burner IS found (also as a quasi-SCSI) and is working well. Since it's on the secondary channel, I don't know why the IDE drive isn't getting recognized. You'll note that I assigned a higher up letter to my CD device as well as my USB devices which aren't connected at the moment, and the card is handing the burner over to XP and getting assigned the correct drive letter. I seem to remember something about "SCSI" drives and drive lettering but that was a long time ago... (even though this is NOT a SCSI drive)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange,

My best guess at this stage would be an issue with the Windows XP drivers. Have you looked around for any others you could try?

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I did check the Belkin web site and it seems that the drivers that came in the package are more recent than what appears on their web pages. That's a little surprising, for they show version 1.0.0.6 and what came with the card is 1.0.1.6. Strange. Well, while waiting to see if anyone else here is familiar with this anomoly, I've emailed Belkin support and have temporarily RE-ENABLED my motherboard Secondary channel and the drive seems to be working OK from there. This would be nice to find the ultimate solution for however, since this card is also RAID capable and I'd like to know how to use it to it's fullest capabilities.