Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Odd Can Grow Property (Access 2000, WXP Home)

I have a subform (Format: Continuous Form) that is used within another form and within a report. The fields in the subform have the Can Grow property set to Yes. When displaying the form or report containing the subform in which a field in the subform exceeds the width on the form or report, the subform row expands (grows) to display all the text EXCEPT when it is the last record being displayed. In that case field doesn't expand and it simply truncates the rest. This seems to be rather inconsistent behaviour, but I haven't been able to fix the problem.

All suggestions are welcome.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd Can Grow Property (Access 2000, WXP Home)

I have never seen something like this, and can't find anything about it in the newsgroups. Could you post a stripped down copy of the problem database? See <post#=368161>post 368161</post#> for instructions. That would allow Loungers to see if they can reproduce the problem, and to experiment.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can grow and can shrink only apply to printing of a form, however, when you have a subform, I'm not suprised at the truncation of the final record because it is probably falling outside the frame of the subform control on the parent form. I've seen this when we have carefully sized a subform control to display a certain height for each record. The last record sometimes appears 'cut off' because of the border of the subform control itself.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I tried to zip the front and back end files together, but the total exceeded 100Kb. (Another mystery, separately the two zip files total less than when together!) Anyway, I'm attaching the front end to this message and the back end to a second message. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The problem is slightly different than originally reported as you will be able to see in the attached db.

First, on the form "Shutin" the Notes text in the records in the subform not only gets truncated, but the row doesn't grow. Perhaps that's how it has to be. One can get at all the text by scrolling within the record which is a nuisance, but livable.

The report "Shutins with Visits" does grow the rows, but it still truncates some of the text in the Notes fields. This seems to me to be very erratic behaviour, but then perhaps I'm trying to do something Access was not designed to do.

For your info this is an application I cut my Access teeth on several years ago, so it is probably not as well organized and professionally done as it could be. My wife coordinates a shutin visitation program for our church, and this program keeps track of the shutins (currently about 90 of them), the visitors (or callers) and the visits to each shutin. The attached db is only a very small part of the entire application.

Anyway, the wife is bugging me especially about the truncated reports.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Here's the back end.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know what the backend database does, since the front end contains separate copies of the tables, not links to the tables in the backend.

As Charlotte remarked, the Can Grow property in forms works only in print preview and when the form is printed. It does not work when you view the form normally. This is by design.

The print preview for both the form and the report seem to work OK for me - see screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (20.8 KB, 0 views)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about the back/front end confusion. I thought I had changed back to linked files (my normal setup), but I guess I hadn't.

So I guess we'll live with scrolling on the form.

Your screen shots didn't show the ends of the lines in the report. When I run the report, even though the record has grown to two lines, it still truncates part of the text at the end of the first line and then shows the rest of the text on the line below. Wierd! Maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte also suggested the cause of the truncation of the line ends: the subreport does not fit within the subreport control. The subreport is 9.5 inches wide, but the subreport control on the main report is only 7.25 inches wide. So 2.25 inches get hacked off. If you reduce the width of the Notes text box so that the subreport is only 7.25 inches wide, the display will be ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (7.2 KB, 0 views)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans (& Charlotte) -- that makes sense. I have more room on the screen than on the report, so that's why it was so wide.