New Lounger
    Thanks

Word's max display capacity (all)

Dear Sir,
    Is there any limit for the maximum file size and maximum number of pages
    that can be displayed in Microsoft word?
    Please guide
    Regards
    Sachin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word's max display capacity (all)

As far as I know, the maximum file size is 32 MB, and there is no intrinsic limit on the number of pages. Though with a limit of 32,000 fields, if you included page numbers (which I hope you would!!), that would seem to limit your pages (or at least your ability to number them).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Respected Mr. Andrew Savikas,
    Thank you very much for the valuable information.
    warm regards

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

For more detailed info on Word specifications & limitations, see this MSKB article (211489):

WD2000: Operating Parameter Limitations and Specifications

As for max file size, take note of this footnote in above article:

"Note 1 Maximum File Size

"The maximum file size is limited to 32 MB for the total document text only and does not include graphics, regardless of how the graphics image is inserted (Link to file, Save with document, or Wrapping style) into the document. Therefore, if the file contains graphics, the maximum file size can be larger than 32 MB."

HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks

gr8 !!
    Thanks to you too Respected Mr. Mark
    'If the file contains graphics, the maximum file size can be larger than 32 MB' means if a have 100 images of 1 MB size, the file size will go above 100 MB. Is it so?
    please guide
    regards

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You'd have have to try it and see if it works. If you can create and save Word document of that size, then it works. If you can't save document, or Word crashes, then it doesn't work. My recommendation would be, it would NOT be a good idea to create Word file of that size, even if it is possible to do so. The largest Word doc I could find on my system is appx 10 MB in size, over 300 pages long, has a lot of tables and some graphics. I have no problem opening and reading this file, but several times when I tried to change doc (by inserting bookmarks to facilitate navigation) I could not save changes - Word hung up and had to be terminated, and all changes were lost. And this file was "only" 10 MB in size. (PS - This was on a P-4 system with 512 MB of RAM.) It would require a lot of memory to load a file 100 MB in size, and it would probably be more prone to corruption. I'd create a group of smaller, more manageable files and use relative hyperlinks to navigate amongst the files (assuming located in same folder on disk).

You may also want to look at this MSKB article, which may or may not be applicable:

WD2000: How to Create a Long Document in Word

HTH