Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalled XP (Professional)

Hi. I just reinstalled XP. It seems like 'My Documents' and Program Files are intact. But, the programs (e.g. Office, ActiveSync, etc.) are not listed on the Start Menu anymore. Do I have to reinstall all these programs or can I simply relink these to the Start Menu? Also, what are the other implications, if any, of reinstalling XP?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reinstalled XP (Professional)

It sounds like you did an "over top of" re-installation, right? At first guess, I would think that installed software is still there and that the Start Menu problem is probably caused by a logged-on username. You'll have to do some digging around, either in the "Documents and Settings" folder or the "Program Files" folder, or maybe BOTH. If you're not logged on with the same username that you used to use, the Start Menu entries may be shown under some other username and certainly can be copied to the "All Users" folder. Let us know what you find in your digs.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Al's comments, I am interested in knowing exactly what procedure you used to install XP again. If you installed XP into a new directory, then it will not recognize any previously installed programs since they will not be in the new registry. The key here is finding out if you are simply using a new user profile or a completely fresh installation of Windows.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark. I am using a completely fresh installation of XP.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al. Thanks for posting. Yes I reinstalled XP over the old XP because it had crashed. I'll try out your suggestions and see what I can dig up.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Henry, when you did your fresh install, did you notice whether setup eradicated the previous installation or if it just did what is known as an in-place upgrade? An in-place upgrade would have left your programs intact, and reverted everything back to a pre-patched state.

If you are facing what I think you are, then even if the folders for your programs still exist on the hard drive, Windows will know nothing about them, and you will need to re-install them and initialize their values in the registry (and anywhere else). You still have your data and personal stuff, so that's a good thing - it's the most important anyway.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark. Thanks for posting. It seems like the programs are intact but I have to confirm this. I haven't been using my home computer since I re-installed last Monday. I guess I'm dreading the possiblity of having to reinstall all the other programs. If the re-install did an in-place upgrade, then what are my options?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Had the reinstallation done an in-place upgrade you would still have all of your programs installed. That's why I suspect you ended up with a virgin install of Windows, and now you'll need to reinstall your programs.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I had to reinstall all my programs. Before doing this, I reformatted my hard disk and started fresh. Thank you all for participating.

Henry