2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Server environment for testing (WindowsXP)

Does XP Professional offer a testing environment for testing web applications during their development? If not, does anyone know of a simple server to use for testing?
    Thanks

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Server environment for testing (WindowsXP)

If you are using XP Pro (not XP Home), you can install Internet Information Server (IIS) from the WIN XP Pro installation CD-ROM. See this article for instructions:

Installing IIS on Windows XP Pro - (Web Wiz Guide)

Once installed, you can use IIS to test web applications. (The Personal Web Server that used to be available in WIN 9X is not supported in WIN XP. See this MSKB article):

INFO: Personal Web Server Is Not Included with Windows XP Home Edition

Brief quote:

"Windows XP Home Edition does not include or support any versions (1.0, 2.0, 4.0) of Microsoft Personal Web Server (PWS). Users that need Web server functionality in a desktop operating system should use Windows XP Professional." And: "PWS 4.0 is included with the Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack and was designed for Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 or later. PWS is not supported and cannot be installed on any version of Windows XP."

When I first installed XP (Home) I wondered what had happened to PWS - that's the answer. Since you are using XP Pro you should be able to install IIS.

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Server environment for testing (WindowsXP)

Thanks for that. I'm actually using XP Home - so I will upgrade to Professional.