New Lounger
    Thanks

Link excel chart to PPT (XP)

Need some help on linking excel chart to Power Point.

Currently all my charts are done in excel and I'll copy the chart and paste it to PPT using the following:
    - Paste special,
    - Paste link,
    - Microsoft Excel Chart Object

Every month the excel file will be save under a different file name and I'll have to change the source doc. Whenever I do this and update the link, the chart will be gone (it just show the raw data ie the numbers for creating the chart) and I'll have to delete the "chart" and redo the paste link function again.

Is there any better way to do the paste link function without having to redo it every time I rename the excel file

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Link excel chart to PPT (XP)

- Open the PowerPoint presentation containing the linked chart.
    - Open the Excel workbook containing the source chart.
    - Select File | Save As..., specify the new name and click Save.
    - Switch to PowerPoint and save the presentation.
    - If you wish, delete the original Excel file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Consider changing your work habit (if you can)

1. <LI> When creating the PPT and Excel, name them by "permanent" name and then save as into "current" name, rather than the "current" name and then renaming to "permanent" name; OR

<LI> Changing your links to manual updates before saving as to the permanent name (Under the EDIT MENU, LINKS..., Change to Manual or Break Link). When opening the "permanent" file, you can change the source of the link if needed, then put back to auto update. In many cases, when you are renaming to a "permanent" name, it's perfectly ok to break the link, because the data in the linked file is probably not going to change.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a presentation in which two of the links changed just fine when I used your technique but the others did not. They still point to the original .xls file. What is the difference between these links and how can I change it? Any help you can give would be great. I read the next post but it made no sense to me.
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you see if you select Edit | Links...?
    Can you change a problem link here, by selecting it in the list and clicking Change Source...?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I'm finding a wealth of information on relative links. Boy, the evil empire hasn't made it easy or intuitive. Seems there is no way, that I can find at least, to edit the link once it is created (I'd like to just delete the path in code somewhere). I did find info on a technique to ensure the links created are relative which worked the first time I tried it but not the second, go figure. From what I've found, I either have to recreate each link manually, and there are many, or buy software that will do it for me. There are at least two pkgs that I found so far. I found a warning in one ad saying there is an MRU bug that can cause problems if we open a file using the Most Recent Used list. I haven't been able to confirm this though. Why is life so complicated???
    Anyway, thanks for your help but I think I found what I need.