5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD Drive keeps opening and closing

A friend says his computer is very slow to start and once it does start, the cd-drive opens and closes about once a minute. When he tries to open it normally, the drive blinks but does not open. He ran a virus scan and found no viruses. He is running WIN 98 SE on a compag system. Any suggestions as to what to look for?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD Drive keeps opening and closing

I'd suggest starting in Safe Mode and running a virus scan that way - and looking out for the behavior. If it does not recur in Safe Mode, then it's time to consider clean boot troubleshooting.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD Drive keeps opening and closing

When I went to check his system this morning, I took a spare CD drive with me. First I checked and his CD drive was not being recognized at all. I checked the cables and everything was plugged in securely. So I hooked up the spare CD drive and everything worked fine. Pulled the old one, put in the new one and all is well.

My friend said he had a party over the weekend and a bunch of kids were "using" his computer - including one aggressive kid who kept playing his music CDs - I suspect they somehow damaged the cd drive. In any event, it is now working.Thanks for your help.