New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Section TOC formatting problem (word 2002/sp2)

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help.

I have a document which was in landscape format, so I created a new section where the TOC is and then cut and paste all the things from landscape into the portrait section.

However word seems to have marked the new text as part of the TOC and I don't seem to be able to change it - even adding a new section afterwards (and cutting and pasting from the section that word things is TOC) it still seems to treat it (i.e. the stuff pasted into the new section) as a TOC.

Could someone please tell me how to get word to accept that some of the text it thinks is part of the table of contents (TOC) is in fact not.

thanks in advance,
    Shoaib Sufi

Thanks

Re: Word Section TOC formatting problem (word 2002/sp2)

I'm not sure I completely understand, but maybe this will help. In Word, a Table of Contents is inserted as a field code. When you press Alt+F9, the entire Table of Contents usually shrinks down to something that looks like <code>{ TOC o "1-3" h z u }</code> (your "switches" may vary). To convert a Table to Contents, or any other field, to regular text, you "unlink" the field by clicking in it and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9. From that point forward, you can edit it like any other part of the document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi jscher2000,

Thanks for that, it solved my problem.

I unlinked that section using ctrl-shift-f9 and then re-inserted a new TOC and the doc is now the way I want it to be.

Just out of interest what is the menu equivalent of ctrl-shift-f9.

Cheers,
    Shoaib

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for that ! that is very useful.

On wonders why things like this are not on the menu bar.

Cheers,
    Shoaib

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I guess the menus would become too crowded if ALL commands were available through them.

You can download a list of all Word for Windows commands, and their descriptions, default shortcuts and menu assignments from the Word MVP site; it is available as an Excel spreadsheet or as a series of PDF files.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keyboard shortcuts for working with fields (Word)

Just for completeness' sake:
    Update selected fields: F9 or Alt+Shift+U
    Unlock selected fields: Ctrl+Shift+F11 or Ctrl+4
    Unlink selected fields: Ctrl+Shift+F9 or Ctrl+6
    Insert Date field: Alt+Shift+D
    Insert Listnum field: Alt+Ctrl+L
    Insert Page Field: Alt+Shift+P
    Insert Time Field: Alt+Shift+T
    By the way: there is an equivalent UnlinkFields command under Tools/Customize/All Commands

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keyboard shortcuts for working with fields (Word)

Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Or if you want the same summary as a Word 2000 document, see <post#=386076>post 386076</post#>.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts for working with fields (Word)

Hello Shoaib,

There is no menu equivalent for Ctrl+Shift+F9.

There is a series of keyboard shortcuts for working with fields and field codes that don't have direct menu equivalents:

<table border=1><td valign=top>Shortcut</td><td valign=top>Description</td><td valign=top>F9 or Alt+Shift+U</td><td valign=top>Updates fields within selection (available in right-click menu)</td><td valign=top>Ctrl+F9</td><td valign=top>Inserts a new, blank field { }</td><td valign=top>Shift+F9</td><td valign=top>Shows or hides field codes within the selection (available in right-click menu)</td><td valign=top>Alt+F9</td><td valign=top>Shows or hides field codes within the entire document</td><td valign=top>Ctrl+Shift+F9</td><td valign=top>Replaces field codes with their results</td><td valign=top>Shift+Alt+F9</td><td valign=top>Only for GoToButton and MacroButton fields: executes the associated action</td><td valign=top>F11</td><td valign=top>Goes to the next field</td><td valign=top>Shift+F11</td><td valign=top>Goes to the previous field</td><td valign=top>Ctrl+F11 or Ctrl+6</td><td valign=top>Locks fields within selection (prevents updating by F9)</td><td valign=top>Shift+Ctrl+F11 or Ctrl+4</td><td valign=top>Unlocks fields within selection (allows updating by F9)</td><td valign=top>Shift+Ctrl+F7</td><td valign=top>Updates text in the source document after typing within linked text in the target document</td></table>
    Other shortcut keys for fields:

<table border=1><td>Shortcut</td><td>Description</td><td>Insert Date field</td><td>Alt+Shift+D</td><td>Insert Listnum field</td><td>Alt+Ctrl+L</td><td>Insert Page Field</td><td>Alt+Shift+P</td><td>Insert Time Field</td><td>Alt+Shift+T</td></table>
    Thanks to Don Ceraso and macropod for pointing out additional shortcut keys.