Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup Templates (2K / SP3)

I am about to initiate a workgroup strategy, but am concerned that some of the users may already be members of another workgroup. My thoughts are:
    1 Is there any way to set the workgroup templates path to more than one folder?
    2 Is there VBA code which will create a windows shortcut to a given template?

Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup Templates (2K / SP3)

1. Sorry, no. The Workgroup Templates path is one folder. However, you can create a shortcut to other folders in the Workgroup Templates path.

2. Yes, search the Lounge (all forums) for CreateShortcut and you'll find code examples.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One note about workgroup templates:
    Word does not search for a template in subfolders of the workgroup template folder, like it does the User folder. So don't move templates once you've put them in the workgroup area.

To be more specific, if you create a doc with a template called "Foo.dot" and another user opens it, Word will look in the following places to find the template: (I'm not 100% certain of the order)
    1) User Templates folder
    2) subfolders of User Templates
    3) Workgroup Templates folder
    4) The document's folder

So, you could move "Foo.dot" to a subfolder of the User Templates, and Word would still find it. The same can't be said for the workgroup folder.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joel:
    I'm a little confused by your statement. My experience with the User Templates folder is that if you move a template that is attached to a document, Word will not search for it. i.e. if you create a document based on foo.dot which is in subfolder 'A' within the User Templates folder & then move the template to subfolder 'B', Word will not find it on it's own. If I try to do something like automatically update document styles, I get a message that the template path is not valid. This is true of the Workgroup folder also. Do you find something different?