3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

footers & margins (2000)

I am having another problem in my continual battle with footers in Word. When I have a footnote on say p. 4, Word sticks a bunch of space on the page before that (p. 3) even tho there is no need for that (no footnote there).

Also, I cannot get Word to display a vertical rule no matter what page display mode it is in.

Thanks

Re: footers & margins (2000)

> When I have a footnote on say p. 4, Word sticks a bunch of space on the page before that (p. 3)
    > even tho there is no need for that (no footnote there).

Where is the space inserted? If it's at the bottom of page 3, perhaps this is necessary due to a "keep lines together" or other formatting choice? If you delete a half dozen lines from further up page 3, what moves from page 4 to page 3, and does this provide any insight?

> I cannot get Word to display a vertical rule no matter what page display mode it is in.

First, you only get a vertical ruler in Print Preview and Print Layout view, and for the latter you need to check the box on the Tools>Options...>View tab. This can be blocked by system policies in the registry, but I can't imagine why anyone would block this setting. (Perhaps I'm not very imaginative!) Is yours checked and being ignored by Word, grayed out... ??

Super Moderator
    Thanks

How large is the footnote itself. If the preceding page cant hold both the footnote and the paragraph where the footnote anchor is located then it might all have to move onto the next page.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The regular text paragraphs don't have any of the boxes set re keep lines togher or the widow/orphan control.

The extra space is at the bottom of the preceeding page where a footnote would go if ther were one there.