Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Missing DLL Problems (OE 6)

I'm trying to help two different friends who are having a similar problem. In both cases they have been using OE, but recently (the last few days) they have started getting messages that OE cannot load certain dll's. One was riched32.dll and I forget the other (something like DO...dll). One is running W98 and the other XP Home. In both cases the only changes I know of that have been made to their systems was Windows updates. Other than that I have no idea where this problem came from.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Missing DLL Problems (OE 6)

There are some security issues with Riched32, and there have been some trojans in the past that replaced the file, so these errors should be investigated in more details.

For the other one, more complete information would be useful. And in both cases, the context would be good to know: e.g., opening a dialog, reading a message, etc.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Things have changed a wee bit. The friend running OE on XP Home is having an intermittent problem with riched32.dll but only when trying to open a message. Sometimes he gets the error, then when he boots up the next time everything works ok! I had him download the latest virus updates and he is in the process of running a full system scan.

The other is a widow lady I help. She is running W98 and when she tries to open OE she immediately gets the message that it cannot load MSOERES.DLL (whatever that is). So if you have any advice, let me know.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there, I have OE on both a 98 and an XP Pro machine. Experienced lots of problems on the older machine when I download SP1 for MSIE and OE V6. I tried everything I could relating to a fix, but ended up taking the 98 machine back to version 5.5 (which is doable), it has worked happily ever since.

When I experienced something similar on the XP Pro machine (after loading the latest updates 2 weeks back), I did not have the option to take MSIE back a version, tried multiple "fixes" without success, I used System Restore to return the machine back 3 weeks. Once again, this has returned OE to working well. I know this is not the answer, as patches/updates are vital, but until I can locate a fix it will have to do. I am hoping MS will be able to bring out fixes for this soon, so many people have experienced the same problem. Good luck resolving it, maybe try returning the older machine to 5.5 could help you too. :-)

Thanks

Chuck,
    So far as MSOERES.DLL is concerned, there is a good article in MAX PC magazine on this problem and it seems to describe exactly what problem you are trying to resolve. OE uses this dll in a language format use.

Go to: MAXPC
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I tried re-loading the m issing DLL, but nothing worked. Finally I simply uninstalled OE and installed the latest IE 6.0. That did the trick.