3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Version Problem? (XP-2003/na)

I inadvertantly created a database with a few forms and associated VBA code in version 2003 when the client's requirement is for XP (2002). It was created as 2002/2003 compatible but I am unable to access the Visual Basic Editor on the client's PC to edit the code to show actual paths for some of their files.

I had created a self-cert and applied it and thought that might have been it, but no, even when I removed it it made no difference - I stll could not access the VBA project in version 2002. I have since set the security at the lowest settings and that made no change as well.

There are reports that include mailing labels and I was unable to display them (error message to the effect that TRIM was not recognised).

Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Version Problem? (XP-2003/na)

If a built in function like Trim is breaking, the most likely cause is a broken reference. You need to convert the 2003 app to 2002 and then open it with XP and check the references. You CANNOT open the VBE of a 2003 database with 2002, regardless.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please give me more info on how to convert it to 2002 version.

FWIW I have tried copying all objects to a new 2002 database and some objects (forms, reports) refuse to come over stating that there is a passowrd on the 2003 database's VBE. This is not correct as I haven't set a password on either database.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open the database in Access 2003.
    Select Tools | Database Utilities | Convert Database | To Access 2002 File Format...
    (This is what the menu options look like in Access 2002, I assume it's the same or nearly so in Access 2003)
    You can also convert to Access 2000 format; most Access 2002 installations still use 2000 format.
    Specify a location and file name, then click Save.
    Next, open the converted database in Access 2002.
    You should now be able to open the VBE.
    Select Tools | References...
    If there are MISSING references, note their name and path, then clear them.
    Click OK, then try to compile the code (Debug menu)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now I have tried to save it as a version 2000 (from 2003) and the message is exactly the same as when it is saved as a 2002 version and opened in Access 2002 ie Project Locked - Project is unviewable.

I cannot edit any code in any other version than that in which the database was created. (And of course I need to be able to edit it on the client's PC and it is only running version 2002!

Are there any settings I could have missed in the VBE that won't allow ANY editing in previous versions. I have been unable to copy all the objects into the shell of a new database created in Version 2002 and must admit I am at a complete loss as to how to solve it. I don't relish the thought of re-creating the whole DB in the version 2002 due the amount of time already invested in the original development.

I feel sure that it must be something to do with References but I cannot even access the References... menu in the Version 2002 or Vesrin 2000 copy I created from the original.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I suspect you've gotten tied up in the new security "features" of 2003. One suggestion would be to export all of the code to a text file, and then import it into a 2000 or 2002 version. Another would be to try converting it to an Access 97 format - the VBA project is done much differently in that version - and then convert it back up to 2000 or 2002. I suspect however that the article Hans pointed you to is the issue.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans and Wendell - It was the MSKB mentioned in Hans' reply but I struck another small problem. It was related to me using Outlook 2003 and referencing the file 'MSOUTL.OLB' (version 11) and the client of course had only version 10 (Outlook 2002).

All is resolved but what a scary situation when you know that you had done most things right.

Many thanks to the Loungers!!