Star Lounger
    Thanks

designating the browse master

hi --

i've been reading one of fred langa's recent columns in which he suggests that , if a small home network is slow to open up, that there may be some issues with the browse master election process ... i've read a little about it and i'm willing to give it a try, especially since i have a "high ranking machine -- an xppro laptop, that gets continually turned on and off, with the remaining 3 boxes all being 2000pro ... the lit says you change that setting in properties of ms print and file sharing, but that button is greyed out! so, do you all think this is a good idea, and if so, how can i do the tweak?

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: designating the browse master

To prevent a Windows XP system from becoming the browse master you should edit the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesB rowserParametersMaintainServerList

Change the value from Auto to No

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks ... now for follow-up:
    1. is this the same reg key for win2k?
    2. if so, one of the win2k boxes is the one that i intend to designate as the master, so that key would be changed to YES? with the remaining changed to NO (but see question 3 below)?
    3. in the lit, i saw that it's good to designate a backup just in case the master goes offline ... do i set the key for that box to AUTO?
    4. the langa article briefly mentions a lmannounce tweak, without going into specifics ... any view on that tweak?

thanks so much

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. <LI>Yes, this is the same key for WXP and W2K
      <LI>I would advise leaving the setting at Auto on the other boxes and setting it to No on the box that you regularly remove from the network
      <LI>I would advise leaving the setting at Auto on the other boxes and setting it to No on the box that you regularly remove from the network
      <LI>I think that LMAnnounce is something to do with Windows NT4 downward compatibility, I would leave it alone
    StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

just wanted to report back ... before i made this tweak, it sometimes took 30 seconds or more to first open network neighbood ... after this fix, my startup time is now reduced to 7-10 sec. so, it seems to be a worthwhile fix ... now, do you know of any other tweak that can trim this time down a little further?