2 Star Lounger

Shutting down Outlook 2000 (Outlook 2000 with all updates)

I am using Outlook 2000 under Windows XP, all of the updates for both products have been installed. Every night at 04.00 I have programmed Second Copy 2000 to make a copy of Outlook.Pst to another hard disk in the same pc. Before I retire for the night I make sure that all programs, in particular Outlook 2000, have been exited. However, it happens quite often that when I come down in the morning Second Copy 2000 reports that it was unable to copy the Outlook.Pst file as it was in use by another program or service. How can this be? I do have an ADSL connection, and when Outlook 2000 is on it's scheduled to pick up my mail every 10 minutes. When I get the error message from Second Copy, I also note that during the night Outlook has indeed been picking up any e-mails that have been sent to me. I thought that exiting a program completely shut it down. am I missing something here? How do I make certain that Outlook 2000 really has terminated?

Uranium Lounger
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Re: Shutting down Outlook 2000 (Outlook 2000 with all updates)

Certain add-ins such as PDA sync software can hold Outlook open, search this Forum for threads such as "Outlook won't close". You might also use Task Manager to shut down any Outlook and MAPI processes you see, and see if that helps.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS