New Lounger
    Thanks

Contacts causing outlook.exe error (2000/sp3)

I am able to update and to read my contacts list from the shortcut panel within Outlook but if I try to look at the contact list from the address book or access it by pressing TO: on a new email I get the error outlook.exe has generated errors etc. I have tried running detect and repair with no difference, can any one help?

This is in a office environment running Exchange 2000, where would the contacts be stored for individual users??

Any help greatly appreciated

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts causing outlook.exe error (2000/sp3)

So it's really when you try to use your contacts as an address list for e-mail that Outlook errors, correct? Do you have any trouble viewing Contacts in the Contacts Folder? First, following the 3rd step in <!profile=JScher2000>JScher2000<!/profile>'s <!post=Star Post,334705>Star Post<!/post>, remove your address books, close down and restart Outlook, and then reinstate the address books, see if it makes any difference. If not post back to this thread.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried following the steps that you have advised and even removing and re-adding the contact folder as an address book.
    Yes, the error only occurs when using the contact folder as an address book to find e-mail addresses, I am able to add and modify the contents of the Contacts folder from the outlook shortcuts bar. The problem started after changing a contacts details, before this it worked fine.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Then I suspect you have a corrupted Contact that is affecting the Contact Address Book. They can be a pain to cure. Perhaps another Lounger has an idea?

I would first remove your Contacts Address Book as before, then close Outlook and all Outlook processes (check in Task Manager), and run the "Inbox Repair Tool" aka Scanpst.exe on your PST(s), then restart Outlook and reconnect your Contacts Address List. Post back if that doesn't work, the next set of steps will be to either track down which Contact is corrupt and delete and recreate it, or back up your contacts, export them to Excel, delete them all and reimport them (see above about "a pain to cure").
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

I got the user to delete the contact she had last modified and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for your help