3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Internet connection

In the last several months, I have lost the internet connection, provided by Comcast Cable every 3 to 4 weeks. I have a SMC Router connected to the cable modem. The following are the procedures I figure out, by try-and-error, to recover the internet connection. Is it normal to recover the connection by these complicated steps?

1) Turn off the PC (XP Home), unplug the cable modem and unplug the router for 1 minute.
    2) Connect the PC directly to cable modem
    3) Reboot cable modem and then reboot the PC. The internet connection is recovered here.
    4) Turn off the PC
    5) Re-establish the original PC-Router-Cable modem connection
    6) Reboot the router first and then reboot the PC. The Internet connection is recovered on the LAN.

If the computer AND cable modem are to be turned off together at step 4), there will be no Internet connection. I need to start over again from step 1) to gain the internet connection.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Internet connection

Seems unnecessarily complicated. Although I'm on Verizon.net (Westell router), what I've done when I've lost the connection (happens rarely) is to turn off the switch on the router for about a minute and then turn it back on. In one instance, I had to reboot, but that was due to a problem with the computer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you using a USB connection on the PC?

There seems to be a lot of connection problems related to the use of USB instead of a REAL NIC connection.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Similar solution to that in <post#=387285>post 387285</post#> . I have the router and modem on a separate power bar from the rest of my system. Switching off and then powering back on after a minute or two always restores the connection.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The PC-Rouer-Cable modem is NIC connection.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave,

Your suggestion makes sense. However, if you review my original post, you will see that if I turn off/on the cable modem and router together at step 4), I will lose the internet connection again.

Since this problem happens only every 3 to 4 weeks, I can not do the experiment veru often, My observation may not be conclusive.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am on Comcast but in the Greater Seattle area. We have had a similar problems but it is mainly related to Comcast side. Sometimes when I need to reset the whole network because of a line failure, server restart and etc.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

I suspected my aged SMC Router did not function right. I decided to replace it with a new Netgear router. Everything went well after this replacement. It seems that electronics equipment won't last too long!

Thanks everybody!