New Lounger
    Thanks

Template problems (2003)

I've been working on a 100+ page employee handbook for several weeks now. I set up a template that the document is attached to. In the template I defined all of my styles, and I've been very careful about only updating the styles in the template. In the document, I have the template set to automatically update document styles on open.

The problem I'm having is that when I opened the document this morning my heading 1-3 styles are whacky. The template still has them defined right, but the document has them different. I've detached and reattached the template with no affect. I've reformatted the document and updated the styles, but the next time I open it goes back.

Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Template problems (2003)

What happens if you select one of the "Whacky" headings and type Control-Space followed by Control-Q. This should remove any manual formatting and reset the font and paragraph styles to their defaults.

Can you define "Whacky" a bit more clearly. Are the differences paragraph or font related?

Is the style name in the document definitely identical to the one in the template? Please double and quadruple check.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

CTRL-Space, CTRL-Q didn't help...

Naming of the headings are the default Heading 2 and Heading 3. Both docs have the same name.

The changes are paragraph indentation/hanging modifications. My template has everything aligned at the left margin, the doc has them with what looks like the default indentations for H2 and H3.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This makes very little sense. If you are sure that the styles are still defined correctly in the template then the "Automatically update document styles" check box should be enough to over-ride any different styles in the document.

Maybe there is some corruption somewhere in the document. Can you create a new document based on the template, and copy the entire 100 page handbook except for the final paragraph mark into this new document and see if that works correctly.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would start by turning off the automatically update setting. This is one great way to stop the file changing between closing the file and opening it again.

Next I would ensure that there isn't two templates with the same name - is it possible that you are updating one template but another is attached. I assume that the template is not updated for you automatically by an overzealous systems adminstrator every time you log on.

Another thing to check for is any macros that run on opening the file. Is there any macros in the file, normal template, attached template or global templates?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brian hi

I know you posted this a few months ago, but I was trawling around for some related information and stumbled across your post. I have experienced almost exactly the same problem that you have described (also using Word 2003 SP1 and also working on several documents of about 100 pages).

The documents I've been working on all have styles H1 to H4 all numbered and carefully aligned. Every now and then (for no reason I can identify), the alignment of all of these styles gets completely lost. You may also find it interesting to learn that my document is *not* set up to update styles automatically from the template.

I am convinced that this is one of these not-quite-random bugs in Word - in fact I am so accustomed to it happening that I have created a macro to restore their alignments.

If you have found out any more about this behaviour, I'd be pleased to know more.

Best regards

Neil