Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 formatting (SP3)

At present, when I choose to send a new message, I click on 'New' and Word starts up as my e-mail provider. The page is formatted in a style called 'Howard', which is in 10 point Arial. I clearly set this up myself when Outlook 2000 was new and my eyesight was better than it is now, but I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it. I would now like to format the text routinely as 14 point Times New Roman , but I can only do this by changing the style or text format once I have moved into the body of the message. There is no trace of 'Howard' amongst my styles when I fire up Word - it only appears in Outlook. If I look in the Format menu when the new blank message fires up, the style line is greyed out, as are the font and point size boxes. They only become available for change when I move into the body of the message.

I have clearly missed something simple, and I shall be grateful if I can be told what it is.

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 formatting (SP3)

A long time ago, I read of a template named email.dot that stored your "e-mail styles." When I've mentioned this in past threads, people said they could not locate such a template. But it's got to be stored somewhere...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

email.dot should be found at C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE111033

OFFICE 11 is for 2003
    OFFICE 10 is for 2002 (XP)

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

I carried out a search following receipt of jscher's email, and found that email.dot was located in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice1033. Presumably this is the location for Outlook 2000, compared with those given in your email. However the file is dated 20/4/99 (in UK terminology), so is presumably unchanged since the first version of the program. It cannot, therefore, contain any reference to a style known as 'Howard'.

If I try to open this file I get a blank template document. If I then try to look at Format|Style the program starts to flash at me, and can only be stopped by pressing ctrl-alt-del. I am then told that it is waiting for a response from me, although it is quite unclear what this is.

Is it possible that the 'Howard' style details are contained in outlook.pst? If so, I have no idea how to get them out.

Meanwhile, thank you to both of you for your help so far.