New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting Page Numbers across sections (2000)

Thanks for the quick reply to my last question! I'm now having trouble applying my page number formatting to my entire document. It is apparently divided into invisible sections and the formatting is only being applied to a single section. How do I get it to apply my page number formatting to the entire document regardless of the sections? Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: Formatting Page Numbers across sections (2000)

First, try changing to Normal view (View>Normal) which shows the section breaks. If there are breaks you don't need, you can get rid of them, although this could create other problems, so maybe try this with a second copy of the document.

Second, page numbers usually are in footers. At one extreme, you can have a single footer for an entire document; at the other extreme, you can have a different footer for each section. The easiest way to manage this is to use the "Same as previous" button on the Footer toolbar. Note that whatever is in the Footer you are "in" will be replaced when you make it "Same as previous" so it can help to select and copy the footer's contents before clicking the button, just in case.

Third, after the footers are set the way you like, there is a number formatting button on that same toolbar which allows you to easily set the style (e.g., 1-2-3, i-ii-iii) for that footer (which, again, could be for one section or for the entire document).

Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jefferson

How do you set the page number format for multiple sections? Setting the footer to be same as previous does not mean the subsequent section uses the same page number format.
    I use VBA if I need to retain all the section breaks but change the page numbering globally with a macro along the lines of...
    <pre>Sub PageNumContinueAllSections()
    'Continues the page numbering across all section breaks
    Dim iSection As Variant
    For Each iSection In ActiveDocument.Sections
    With iSection.Headers(1).PageNumbers
    .RestartNumberingAtSection = False
    .HeadingLevelForChapter = 0
    .IncludeChapterNumber = False
    ' .ChapterPageSeparator = wdSeparatorEnDash
    ' .StartingNumber = 0
    .NumberStyle = wdPageNumberStyleArabic
    End With
    Next
    End Sub</pre>

Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Oooops, my mistake. Thank you for pointing that out. The only way I see to quickly apply this setting to multiple sections at the same time is to close the footer, select the relevant part of the document, and use:

Insert > Page

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually - that works like a charm! Don't insert page numbers by going into the footer first, just select your entire document and then insert page numbers. After they have been added to the document, you can then go into the footers and format them. Thanks guys!!

Thanks

Just as a footnote, I prefer to enter the page number manually in the footer to avoid the floating textbox thingy that the Insert>Page