Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing a folder

Post moved from Home Networking

I'm doing some work on a community-based network of about a dozen old computers, all running Win 98. I know that they can all share a dial-up internet connection and a printer (although there's some glitch there - the shared printer only works if at least one of a particular trio of the boxes is turned on ??? - but that's another issue).

My aim is to be able to use just one of these computers (doesn't have to be the server) to store installable files in a folder, so that these can be easily transferred then installed on/by any of the other boxes. Few have CD drives, and downloading the same thing over & over onto each box, via a slow dialup connection is all but impossible. I'd want such shared access to be only for this particular folder, and to be possible only via the appropriate logon or whatever (a specific workgroup ??). I'm sure this is possible, but I'm quite ignorant of networking issues... so please type slowly .

thanks

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing a folder

I don't know if I'm oversimplifying here, Alan, but if you share a folder, and ONLY one folder, that should be all that's visible to any of the other machines, so you shouldn't have a problem with someone seeing too much. Even though this circumstance probably doesn't require it, I think I would password protect the share, just for added protection. Am I missing something in the context of your question? By the way, we did that very thing at my last place of employment. You might find it faster (in most cases) if someone needing an install, did so directly across the network, rather than copying the file to the destination machine. We had a few apps where that wouldn't work, but most of the time it was fine.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing a folder

Thanks BigAl. Things turned out simpler than I'd thought on this one. It was my own lack of knowledge plus the fact that some computers didn't allow Map Network Drive... that put doubts in my mind. It confused the heck out of me, but I finally discovered it was due to some tweak that was applied by a since-vanished program. Once I got them all uniform, it was all smooth sailing from there.

I had wondered about the remote install issue but have, thus far, only copied installation programs across to the target prior to installing. This is not a big deal - there's lots of free HD space on all machines and it's the slow download speed that's the major headache. The shared folder seems like a nice way around this.

cheers

Alan