3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Long text buttons (2000)

I've only recently discovered the power of this little field code nugget: {MACROBUTTON NoMacro [Name]} for my templates. For those unfamiliar, what it does is display a field called [Name]. When the user clicks the field and begins typing, the field vanishes and only the user text remains. This is an awfully handy way to get people to put the right information in the right spot.

I want to use this field code to include a lot of discriptive information. For example: "In this paragraph, briefly summarize your career prior to obtaining your current position."

Here's the problem: when I use a lot of text, or put it in a narrow column, Word gives me the error message "Display text can not span more than one line!" Well, why the heck not? Better yet, how can include this kind of information and still make it easy for the end user (who's not too bright, I should point out) to put the right info in the right spot?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Long text buttons (2000)

Is the MACROBUTTON the only field that becomes completely selected when you click on it? (What is happening here is that one click completely selects the field, and then it is replaced by the first keystroke the user types. So maybe there is a more capacious field that behaves the same way?)

You can insert a picture into a MACROBUTTON field, which is great for instructions for more visually oriented people, except when you think about how hard BMPs are to edit and how much they might slow the loading of the file...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Long text buttons (2000)

You can increase the length somewhat by using text formfields. If you insert a text formfield & DON"T protect the document, you can double click the field & set the default text, which will take more than one line. However, it will only take a single paragraph & is limited to 255 characters, including spaces. You end up with about 2-1/2 lines.

I take it that using a protected document with form fields is not acceptable.