New Lounger
    Thanks

Footnote Problem (Word 2002)

This is my first post to the Lounge (despite many hours of lurking). We have a footnote "problem". Periodically, the superscript number will not superscript. The style is fine, no odd keyboard commands were used, the footnotes before and sometimes after are fine. The users just select the number and hit superscript to work around the problem. Help! I'm dealing with lawyers who are fighting the WP to Word move anyway and these inconsistencies are driving them crazy.
    Thanks!!!!!!

Thanks

Re: Footnote Problem (Word 2002)

This is difficult to diagnose without a patient on the table, but... the superscript attribute of the Footnote Reference style can be overriden or changed if the user selects it (either alone or as part of a swath of text) and presses Ctrl+space (to return the character formatting to the default set in the paragraph style). I'm sure there are other ways to accidentally change this attribute, but none leap to mind.

Added: I see now that you specified "no odd keyboard commands." Hmmm...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well - those attorneys should stick to WordPerfect anyway 'cause it's the superior product (hey, I didn't bring it up - but BTW, WP11 is gorgeous.)... Seriously, in Word, it could be the printer driver - I've noticed squished leading and similar anomalies. This might affect superscript as well, though fn control in Word is abysmal and it could be yet another artifact of sloppy programming.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Those attorneys (and I) would LOVE to stick to WordPerfect, however that is not to be. Never thought of the printer driver. That has some real interesting possibility. One of the people with the problem has had other issues that I think could be the printer driver. I'll check that out. Thanks...I knew you folks would come through!