2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Server Issue/Reload Outlook? (Outlook 2002)

Help!

After turning off my computer and turning it back on a few minutes later yesterday afternoon, Outlook suddenly stopped working. I keep getting the following error message whenever I try to send a test message.

"Unable to logon to the outgoing mail server (SMTP). Please verify your SMTP server and - if your server requires verification - tje authentication information on the More Settings pages."

I spoke to the techs at my ISP and after verifying all the settings they said it's an Outlook problem and that it somehow got corrupted and needs to be completely reloaded. Naturally, as this fellow was talking, an incoming message came through. But after that, nothing has been able to come in or out.

Do I really have to delete and re-load Outlook? If so, what's the best way to do it? And, how do I save the e-mails that I've received to date. They contain lots of valuable information. (which reminds me: is there a way to back-up the e-mails (both received and sent). It's something I should do, if it's possible.)

Thank you for the help.

Neal

Thanks

Re: Server Issue/Reload Outlook? (Outlook 2002)

Okay, first, your messages, contacts, rules, etc., are stored in one or more files with a .PST extension. You should back those up daily, or if you hardly get any mail, weekly. They usually are stored under Cocuments and SettingsYourWindowsUserNameLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook, I think, but since I moved mine several versions ago, I'm not positive.

Second, the accounts settings, which are stored in the registry, sometimes get corrupted and need to be deleted and re-entered. This is completely different than reinstalling the program itself. If you go into Tools>Email accounts and create a new account with the correct settings, can you send and receive on that account? If so, just delete the old account and you're good. If not, deeper surgery might be required.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Server Issue/Reload Outlook? (Outlook 2002)

It worked!!!

Bless you.

Now, if I could get you to help me like this with the other facets of my life.

Thank you again.

Neal