Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emtpy Word attachments from a Mac (6)

I've been tinkering around with the problem and perhaps it's a Word problem and not an OE problem. When I open the misbehaving documents and check the properties, Word tells me that I'm dealing with a plain text document. In earlier and successful exchanges, the document comes through fine and is labeled as a Word 97-2003 document in the properties box. Something tells me that the problem is in the document manipulation at the Mac end and my PC being formatted with Word 2003, which is not the version at work (I can't remember the version running on the secretary's machine at the moment). Perhaps this question should be moved to the Word forum?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Emtpy Word attachments from a Mac (2003)

Fellow Loungers,
    I'm having a problem receiving Word attachments from a colleague. She has a Mac and someone at work told her that she could get around Word compatibility problems between Macs and PCs by simply saving her Word file and adding in the save box the ".doc" at the end of the file name. I know nothing about Macs and this has in the past worked when we share documents (when she sends me a document -- I simply send her an .rtf formatted document). Suddenly this doesn't work anymore and I'm getting the strangest behavior in the attachments she sends me. For instance, yesterday I received an attachment of a Word document that weighs in at 34.4 KB but when I open it, it is empty (0 KB). The same thing happens if I save it. Now here's the really bizarre thing: when my colleague sends this document to the secretary at work, who is equipped with a PC, everything goes well and the secretary can forward me the document in question and everything opens normally. For example, the document that arrived yesterday at 34.4 KB "actually" weighs in at 73.8 KB and arrived this morning via the secretary in perfect shape. Does anyone know why this is happening and how? I'm running NAV but getting no activity warning upon downloading the messages in question from my colleague and nothing is showing up in my NAV logs. The strange thing is that this little ".doc" tampering worked as recently as a month ago and now won't work at all -- at least with my PC.

Thanks

Re: Emtpy Word attachments from a Mac (6)

First, check the box on the Tools>Options>General tab to "Confirm Conversion at Open." This will alert you if Word intends to apply any converter to the document when you open it. You might be able to convince it to apply the correct one, although often if it doesn't guess correctly the first time you can't change its mind.

Possibly the Office 2003 installer might not have unpacked all of the converters. You could try running it again (in the mode where it lets you add or remove components) and see if you need to add a text converter for the Mac.

There also is a converter pack for older formats online (here), but I don't think you should need that...