New Lounger

Outlook changes pst names when archiving (Outlook 2002 SP-2)

I have multiple pst files established so I can archive by subject rather than chronology for easier searching. For instance, I have a Business and Personal folder in my working pst file and have set the autoarchive settings for Business to archive to "business.pst" and Personal to "personal.pst."

In the business.pst file, I have right clicked, selected Properties, clicked the Advanced button and changed the Name from "Archive Folder" to "Arc Business" so when I open the business.pst file "Arc Business" is displayed rather than "Archive Folder."

Here's my issue: When I archive my main pst file according to the folders autoarchive settings, Outlook archives everything correctly, however, it resets the folder Name from "Arc Business" back to the default "Archive Folder."

I then have to right click each archive folder to rename it again. And since I use about 15 archive pst files (to keep each pst under a gig....yes, I have lots of email), this is just a little annoying.

So is there anything I can do or is it a "feature" that I have to live with?

Thanks much.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Outlook changes pst names when archiving (Outlook 2002 SP-2)

Do you keep all the archival PSTs open, so that your Folder List goes from having useful names like Arc Business, Arc Personal, etc.,to Archive Folders, Archive Folders, etc.? That would make me crazy!

With a little VBA, it might be possible to rename them back in one go. However, it's not the sort of thing I'd attempt without a good backup. The only way that seems even a little bit painless is to store the name you like in the Description field for each PST. When you right click and choose properties, it's the large textbox on the first tab of the dialog. Then, if you find that Outlook has changed the "friendly names" of the PSTs in the Folder List to "Archive Folders", you can use some code like this to replace that name with the text in the Description:

<pre>Sub RenameArchivePSTsInFolderList()
    Dim mfldr As Outlook.MAPIFolder
    For Each mfldr In Outlook.GetNamespace("MAPI").Folders
    ' Focus only on PSTs whose friendly name is Archive Folders
    If mfldr.Name = "Archive Folders" Then
    ' Only change Name to match Description if there is one
    If mfldr.Description <> vbNullString Then
    ' Note: trust that the Description makes sense!
    mfldr.Name = mfldr.Description
    End If
    End If
    Next mfldr
    If Not (mfldr Is Nothing) Then Set mfldr = Nothing
    End Sub</pre>

Note: I wasn't able to test this very much, as I don't have any folders named "Archive Folders." Hope this helps.