2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Group Policy mess up

Well, I've effectively shot myself in the foot--or possibly heart--by inadvertantly removing access to the default GPO object.

Let me explain: I've implemented Automatic Update for our network, but did not want our server to be automatically updated (I didn't want them to auto-reboot, if that was necessary). Well, implementing AU requires the use of a Group Policy. For the servers to be excluded from that policy, I copied the default GPO (my first mistake) and changed its name, security access and the AU policy.

Some of you may already see where this is leading...

When I copied the default Domain Policy, another policy was listed, but it was really just another instance of the GPO that was already. When I changed (what I thought was) the new policy, I was actually changing the ONLY policy. Thinking it was a newly created policy, I removed all names from the security tab except CREATOR OWNER (thinking that was me) and the names of the servers I was creating this new policy for. So now, I have a group policy in effect that has AU disabled, but nobody really has access to it. Evidently, I am not the CREATOR OWNER.

The only good thing about this is that we didn't have any special policy settings, except for AU.

So...

How can I correct my mistake? Can I correct my mistake? Should I just submit my 2-week notice now???

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Group Policy mess up

I don't have a Windows 2000 domain controller at home to play with, but can't Administrator "Take Ownership" of this GPO?

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart-- Thanks for the reply.

I would have thought so, but I cannot find out how to take control of it. I cannot open Properties since I don't have access and right-clicking on it brings up no useful choices. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions on how (and if, for that matter) I can do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am surprised, that doesn't sound right, but I don't have access to a server at the moment to check.

Anyone else got a W2K server and want to see if they can work out how to do this?

StuartR