Lounger
    Thanks

Word - merge and table of contents (XP)

Hi - a two part question - probably easy when you know how.

(1) I've done labels via mail merge for years in Word 97, 2000 - got XP recently and having trouble - can create the labels fine but end result is only one page no matter how many entries in the database (approx 100 in this case). What am I doing wrong????

(2) - I work from home (typing) - have 9 booklets with their own table of contents and client wants a separate booklet with just the contents...to try and save him costs and me time, I've copied each contents page into a new document but can't get rid of the contents format (eg hyperlink, shading & 'error bookmark not defined' etc). Is there a way to convert table of contents to normal text (without the shading etc.) I've tried changing style to normal etc etc.

Thanks in advance - Katie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word - merge and table of contents (XP)

(2) Click somewhere in the TOC and press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to convert it from a field to text. You may have to adjust the formatting of the result.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Katie:
    (1) The main document (the one you put the merge fields in) will only be 1 page long. However, when you do the merge, all the entries should be placed in the table. If I've misunderstood your problem, please tell us what you've done when you get only 1 page & what datasource you're using.

(2) Incidentally, the next time you need to create a file that contains just the TOCs from other files, use the RD field.
    1. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert field braces {} in a new document.
    2. Type TOC inside so it looks like <code>{TOC}</code>
    3. Then insert field codes after it (by pressing Ctrl+F9) & putting in RD & the path to each document so that it looks like:

<code>{toc}
    {RD "C:foldersubfolderfilename1"}
    {RD "C:foldersubfolderfilename2"}
    {RD "C:foldersubfolderfilename3"}
    etc.</code>

Select everything & press F9 to update the fields. This will save you time because you won't be copying & pasting each file. Then you can select them & press Ctrl+Shift+F9 as Hans instructed.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans - thanks so much - as I said simple when you know how.
    Katie

Lounger
    Thanks

Phil - thank you. Between you & Hans you've saved me time & frustration...getting to age where 'new' (ie change) make me cross. Problem with mail merge was I was stopping one step short. Last two options were 'print' or 'edit individual labels' - didn't want to print at that stage and didn't want to 'edit 'either so thought being stuck with one page was me doing something wrong - when I chose the edit option all was fine - talk about dippy (Oz speak for stupid).

Thanks also for the tip on future table of content conversion. Katie