2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Networking Error 6118

I have a simple wireless setup at home with a desktop and a laptop. My problem is I cannot access the computers in my workgroup from my laptop (a Sony Vaio PCG Z1WA). When I try to

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Networking Error 6118

I assume you are running Windows XP (home or professional) although you didn't actually say so.

Try Control Panel > System > Computer Name
    You can see your workgroup name in the middle of the dialog box. To change it click the Change button.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart, I am afraid I was nopt very clear in my post. I am running XP home on both units. Also I did know how to change the computer name (they are both the same) what I could not find is the Domain name, can you help with that or any other approach I should take.

thanks again

Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have never run XP Home, but I do know that it cannot join a domain, it is Workgroup only.

I assume you set the workgroup in the same place as you set the workgroup for XP Professional - which is on the same screen where you change the computer name.

I have just read your post again. You cannot have two computers with the same name in the same workgroup. You should set the Workgroup name to be the same on both computers, but give them different computer names.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart, as you suggested I do not get the Network Option in XP Home so I am still lost. Have now tried everything I can dig up without success. It is amazing that the desktop can see everthing (that is set to share on the laptop ) while it can see nothing. Any other suggestions will be followed and are greatly appreciated.

Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you please clarify the statement "<code>I do not get the network optiion in XP home</code>".

Have you looked at Control Panel > System > Computer Name > Change
    This should allow you to change the workgroup name, but because it is Home edition it won't allow you to join a domain.
    Look on all your computers and make sure they have the same workgroup name

Also please can you explain your comment in <post#=388197>post 388197</post#> when you said that "<code> Also I did know how to change the computer name (they are both the same)</code>". It is important that every computer has a different name, and that the workgroup name is different to all the computer names.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. I do have different Computer names and the Workgroup name is the same for all units.

I rang Linksys and I did manage to get the laptop to work by deleting the available network I had and starting a new one with a different name. Have not got a clue as to why it worked but it did.
    Thank you for all your help.

Peter