Star Lounger
    Thanks

accessing 2000 member server when NT4 PDC down

NT4 PDC with a 2000 member server (rmnetnt domain)

Due to building work, the frontoffice will be separated from our main network. I've moved the admin server (Win 2000) up to the front office, but have problems linking the workstations to it...

My thoughts so far...
    Users on a XP Pro client login to the domain and get authenticated by the PDC and then can access shares on the 2000 server.

The Permissions are set on the 2000 server (Server5) by domain name groups, e.g...

server5public set to rmnetnt-staff can read this folder,
    server5SImS set to rmnetnt-staff can modify this folder,

If we take away the NT4 PDC from network, users can still login to their XP Pro client (still to rmnetnt, not locally, using a cached profile), but can't access the shares on server5 because Server5 no longer knows who rmnetnt-staff group are - Server5 can't get this information from the PDC.

What I think should work is setup a local account on Server5 for each user and then add them to a local group and give this group permission to access the shared folders. I have shares set to everyone full control and secure it via NTFS permissions only. So then...

server5public set to rmnetnt-staff and server5-staff can read this folder
    server5SIMS set to rmnetnt-staff and server5-staff can modify this folder.

As long as the user has the same username (I appreciate these will be different SIDs) and password on both systems they should be able to access the shared folder, shouldn't they? I'm finding that I'm getting mixed results? On one client it worked with one user, but then at another client with a different user it didn't. I guess my next step would be to login as the user that worked on the other client and see if it still works.

My other thought was to change the drive mapping on the client, so that the user sets a drive letter for a share on server5, but as a different user, i.e. server5-username rather than rmntnt-username. This way when the rmnetnt PDC is disconnected, they should still be able to access the share.

I've given the XP Pro clients a static IP address. They are in the same subnet as sever5 and each can PING each other.

If anyone is still kind enough to read this far, am I on the right lines?

--
    Kind regards,

Ian Price

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: accessing 2000 member server when NT4 PDC down

Given the time and effort you are expending, wouldn't it be easier to find an old PC, configure it as a BDC and put it on the same LAN as the server? This would be simple, supported and reliable, and it would involve only a small amount of work.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It so happens that I've recently retired one of the BDCs on the NT4 domain and had a similar thought to your suggestion.

I fired the server up and thought, as it is a BDC to the domain it would be able to valid logins when the PDC was turned off, but it didn't? I then decided to promote it to PDC, but then, when the XP Pro client was connected to the network and I tried to login, I got an error message saying roughly that there wasn't an avialable server to vailidate logon? When I turned off this server I was able to login, but again not link to the 2000 member server.

Maybe tomorrow I can try this option again, I'm glad you've suggested something that I also thought would work too. As you mention, it seems the "easy" answer, to have this NT4 server running whilst the building work is going on.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Got it sorted now with the local accounts allowing a mapped drive into Server5. I had to removed the established mapped drives, log off from the XP Pro client and then make a new mapped drive but connecting as a different user, i.e. server5username. Don't know why I couldn't get it to work last week or why the addition of the old BDC failed too - maybe I'll get a chance later to explore that idea more.