3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange behviour in Word 2003 document (Office 2003 Pro)

I am working on a long document which was 190 pages long (a dissertation) and noted the appearance of a series of narrow upright rectangles at the end of the document in place of the last few paragraphs of text. I suspect that they appeared when I saved the document. I cut the document into two sections which I am working on independently, and have had no problems after a number of amendments and saves, but the rectangles have reappeared, and also appear around the page number. I deleted the page numbers and have reinserted them, replaced the "missing" sections of text from previous versions, but have no idea why this is happening and how to avoid it. Time is running short to complete the task!
    I have Adobe Acrobat 6, which currently seems to have spontaneously disappeared from all Office components, EndNote7 and the only other add-in is ABBYY OCR software, which I have always used without problems.
    I certainly would appreciate some advice!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Strange behviour in Word 2003 document (Office 2003 Pro)

It sounds like you may have entered text into text frames. If the frames contain text with a style that has been modified then perhaps the the text is still in the frame but no longer visible because of paragraph indents.
    Can you post the last page of the document so we can see what is contained there?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response, Andrew.
    I don't have any formatting turned on and have not tried to format the paper with EndNote yet. Have attached a copy of the last page. The only other thing I can think of is that I burned the original doc (in 2003) to CD,and worked on it on my laptop, which has Word XP - I think the odd behaviour started then. I transferred the paper (without the weird symbols) back to the PC to continue working with Word 2003, without any problems, but after a few hours the oddities reappeared. Have never had any back compatibility problems to date.
    Best wishes
    Dianne
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This file has some corruption in there somewhere. It appears to come back to a state of normality if I save the file as an RTF file and then reopen that file - I think that will make the file much more stable for you.
    The footer has several page number fields inserted in there so you will have to fix that up after the save.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, I'm afraid that the conversion to rtf and back did not do the trick for me. Do you think that I should copy the non-corrupt parts to a new document, and take it from there? The only thing is that I am not sure where the corruption lies, other than it appears at the end of the text. As an aside, the multiple page numbers appeared as part of the corrupt behavior.
    Thanks
    Dianne

Thanks

It looks as though the rectangles represent a "null" character (hex value of zero). This should not occur inside a Word document. This kind of corruption reminds me of some document destruction I've seen when a user has a file open from the server and the server is restarted. A block of text in the middle of the document was trashed and replaced with random content, perhaps because a temp file was lost on the server. Whatever the cause of your nulls, it is unhealthy and the good parts should be copied into a fresh document. If this document has been worked on from a network server, you might want to work with it locally and then back it up to the server afterwards. If it has been worked with locally, perhaps scan the disk for problems. Good luck!