5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CHKDSK runs twice (WIN XP Home )

I am helping a friend with her DELL 4600. When I run chkdsk, it runs twice. The first time it goes through all 5 stages and then restarts the computer and repeats all 5 stages. Any ideas as to why it is doing this? Is it a problem?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CHKDSK runs twice (WIN XP Home )

Is the drive setup with only one NTFS partition and what parameters are you using when you run the CHKDSK command? I don't have a machine with a solitary NTFS partition, so my machine doesn't do that. However, it does require a reboot to check the boot partition, which in my case is FAT32 - I just don't know if it does that for a lone NTFS partition. Given that it's Sunday, hang in there and I'm sure someone will chime in.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Al has asked most of the questions that I would have asked.

The only thing I would say is that if you have TWO partitions, it can check the non-system/non-boot partition without rebooting, so that may be the first one you observe. The system/boot partition can only be checked as part of the reboot process.

However, you can only specify a single partition at a time to be CHKDSKed. Have you more than one partition and have you left out the disk letter(s) to be checked, perhaps? (I've never done this!).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

It does have two partitions - DELL sets up a small FAT and then the boot partition is NTFS. There is also an 8 MB space that is unpartitioned. My friend's computer has been acting up for a couple of weeks. I did a WIN XP Repair installation but I am still getting lots of error messages, BSODs and other strange happenings. I have decided to reformat and do a clean install of WIN XP. If the system continues to act up, then I will know it is probably a hardware issue. There is a possibility that lightning got to it. Thanks for your and Doc's input.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Question: after completing the second pass, does CHKDSK stop executing? Does it execute twice every time you specify it to run?

Are you certain that this is reason enough for a format and reinstall? This could be an indication of a corrupt MFT (Master File Table) in the NTFS file system, which would require that measure to fix, but if this is all that happens, I would not be so quick to take those measures.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark, I have already reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP - though not without some struggles. In any event, now I am getting a BDOD and the computer is occasionally rebooting spontaneously. I checked the Event Viewer and found this message.

The computer has rebooted from a bug check. The bug check was 0x10000050 (0xe11d4508, 0x00000000, 0x80534ddc, 0x00000001) A dump was saved in C:windowsminidumpmini071104-03.dmp.

So now what do I do.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The Event Viewer is not telling us enough at this point. It is only confirming the blue screen and telling you where to find the memory dump, which is next to useless unless you are developing software or drivers. We need to know what the exact STOP code is.

That said, we need to know what the STOP code is that appears with the blue screen when it appears. If you have not already done so, open the System Properties from the Control Panel and click on Advanced, and then the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. Clear the checkbox next to Automatically restart as shown in the attached. A reboot is required for this to take effect.

The next time a BSOD occurs, you will have the information you need in front of you. Write down the error message and the first two hexadecimal strings that you see, and you can search via Google for that particular error message. Sometimes these are quite specific, other times there can be multiple causes. Post back with what you find.

This could indicate faulty drivers, a common cause of BSODs. Make sure that you are using the most current WHQL drivers for all hardware in the system, and that all the hardware is on the compatibility list.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I called DELL tech support - who were very prompt and efficient this morning, and ran their diagnostic tests. It showed an error in the RAM memory and they are sending replacement modules. So we will see if this corrects the problem. Thanks for your help.