Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Old monitor dying?

I've resurrected an old KTX TopScan 14" monitor (Model CM-451M). It works OK except for the fact that the screen display is much brighter than it should be, even with the brightness and contrast adjusted as best I can. The best way I can describe it is like looking through a bright haze at what's behind. It also tends to go out of focus when settings are varied from optimum. I don't think it's a driver issue, because it appears this way even before Windows fires - what ought to be a black background appears as a light grey.

Is there any kind of adjustment for this, or is the old girl on the way out?

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Old monitor dying?

Alan

I had forgotten that monitors as microscopically tiny as 14" still existed!

I have a very old 21" monitor "rescued" from the knackers yard, where sometimes the white-ish display goes purple-ish. A sharp slap on the top surface with my hand usually cures it, for a shorter or longer period of time. (Just don't break your hand or wrist doing this!).

If that doesn't cure it, buy a second-hand monitor for $50 or so from the local paper!

John

(No monitors were harmed in this experiment...)
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When I had a monitor go like that I bought a very nice 17" one from eBay for

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Percussive Maintenance', I think it's called.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the input John (and Stuart). Since this is going to be a giveaway, I will duely pass your advice on to the prospective owner. I was actually hoping for one of those "secret" internal screws to back off a quarter of a turn, or something like that... but such is life.

Alan