Star Lounger
    Thanks

Links not opening (IE 6)

When I left click on a link on a web page, the link doesn't open, after a long time searching, I get the page cannot be displayed window . I can only open the link if I right click and then open it in a new window. I am using windows xp and have spoken with both Dell and MIcrosoft. At their advice I have removed all adware and spyware, but the problem persists.
    I would appreciate any help in solving this problem. Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Links not opening (IE 6)

Does anything in this post help? Also, what version of Windows are you using?
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am running Windows XP, I tried the advice in your post, but it does not seem to work. Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem

Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The first part of the resolution did not work.
    How do I check if If registry values lised are present and correct.
    Thanks

Thanks

The registry is a huge database of system and software settings. If you've never been in the registry editor before, you probably will find it somewhat bewildering having to squint at all those long CLSID numbers.

Anyway, it generally is recommended to back up the registry before opening the registry editor. To open the editor in Windows XP, you use Start>Run...>regedit (if there is total chaos when you first open the editor, pressing the left arrow repeatedly often neatens things up). As in Windows Explorer, when you find a level in the hierarchy that you're looking for, you click the plus sign to expand it and then look for the next one, etc.

But it might be easier to try to repair/reinstall Internet Explorer. I believe others have posted the step-by-step for that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went through the registry which seemed fine. I then reinstalled windows xp as was described in previous posts. The problem still persists, but now I can't change the display settings from the control panel. Any advice how to change the display settings or any other ideas on how to open links in internet explorer.

Thanks for your help

Thanks

I usually open that display settings dialog by right-clicking the desktop and choosing Properties. However, if that's blocked, maybe something's gotten onto your system. Does your logon have Administrator privileges? I use Windows XP Pro, so this could be a little different, but I have a Control Panel named User Accounts that lets me check that kind of thing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The reinstall may have installed generic drivers for the display and there are limits to what these drivers can do. You may need to update them from your OEM.

Sometimes when a reinstall is done the original files may not be over written and so the problem may still exist.

Have you tried doing a "Repair" instead of a reinstall?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.