New Lounger
    Thanks

CD / DVD Drive problem

Because of crashing my C drive I had to reinstall Win2000 and I installed it on a new drive with no Virus software running or anything like that. AFter I installed Win2000 from my CD, all my hardware was working fine. I had no apps installed and so I started installing the SP's and the patches from the MS site. However, after I installed all of the SP's and patches from the internet, I could no longer use my CD drive. I have an F drive (my CD) but When I would put a CD in it I would always get a message back that it couldn't read the CD. I had this same situation before my C drive crashed and I had always thought that maybe my drive had gone bad or something else had gone wrong, but since I very seldom used the CD drive (it's also a burner) I just didn't fool with. But now I am convinced that one of the SP's or patches to Win2000 is the culprit. Does anyone know anything about this or how I can solve this problem?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: CD / DVD Drive problem

This sounds more like a hardware problem than a software one.

At this point it might be a good idea to check that all of the electrical connections for your CD and HDD are clean and firmly connected. Likwise for memory chips - swapping them around if you've got more than one might also have an effect. If so, you might have some bad RAM.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: CD / DVD Drive problem

Remember service packs are cumulative. If you applied SP-4 you got all the updates from SP-1,SP-2, & SP-3. I'd check the cable connections inside the PC then possibly start over. If you re-install check the CD drive after each step - after the Win2k install, after SP-4, after a hotfix, etc., etc. It may be tedious but you'll most likely be able to identify the culprit - if it is a hotfix problem.

Joe