3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Network

If I am saying this wrong and/or you need more info, please let me know. I would like to set up a wireless network between my Desktop (WinXP Pro) and a Laptop (WinXP Pro) to share a telephone line (out in the woods ... sorry). The 2 units are in rooms next to each other about 25 feet apart. Desktop connects to MSN and Laptop to AOL. Is this possible and any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for any help !!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Network

Do you wish both machines to be able to browse the 'net at the same time, or is this strictly for file and printer sharing?
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would like them to browse the net at the same time and share a printer but not files. Thanks for any help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, this is a tad over my head, as you've got two different ISPs, if I uderstand your first post correctly. One computer currently dials AOL for access, the other dials MSN. I don't know what will happen, if the MSN attempts to access the net via the AOL connection, and vica versa. Hopefully, someone else will have that answer for you.

As for the printer sharing, once you have a network (wired or wireless) setup, it's simply a matter of "sharing" the printer on the host PC.

The minimum you'll need for this network, are 2 WiFi NICs. For the laptop, you can go with a card similar to this, or a USB device, such as this. The desktop will need either the same USB device (a second one), or a PCI connection such as this. All of these products linked, are of the 802.11g standard. There are are two other standards available, being 802.11b (will converse with 802.11g), and 802.11a. I have myself, a combination of the b and g devices running both at work and home.

If you're attempting to keep your costs down, go with the b standard. If you only purchase the NICs, then you'll need to setup an ad-hoc network, which would be a peer-to-peer connection. If you get a wireless router aswell, then you'll need to setup an infrastructure network. However, with only a phone connection to the net, the router would be a wasted expense (at this time).

I hope this helps you out. Let us know if you need more information.
    Christopher Baldrey

Super Moderator
    Thanks

To share the phone line, each computer MUST have a modem and a wire to the wall socket. You can NOT share a the phone line accross a network.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although you can't share the phone line without physically connecting both PCs to the socket., you can share a single Internet connection, by using Internet Connection Sharing. You can enable this from the Advanced tab of the Dial Up connection properties dialog box.

StuartR