Results 1 to 2 of 2
2004-07-12, 01:53 #1
- Join Date
- Jun 2002
- Michigan City, Indiana, USA
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mailto: hyperlink doesn't work (XP)
When I click on an email address in a message in Outlook, all it does is open multiple windows of IE 5 and tell me that the operation cannot be completed because the default email client is not properly installed. I tried reinstalling and that didn't work. Any ideas on why this is happening? I am running Win XP Pro. Thanks for any help.
2004-07-12, 06:47 #2
- Join Date
- Mar 2002
- Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Mailto: hyperlink doesn't work (XP)
See how mailto is defined in the Windows Registry. The usual warnings about being careful when editing the registry apply.
- Select Start | Run...
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTmailtoshellopencommand in the left hand pane.
- There should be only one entry in the right hand pane, named (Default). If you cannot see the entire value, double click (Default)
- The value should look like this:
<code>"C:PROGRA~1MICROS~2Office10OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "% 1"</code>
where the trailing numbers in PROGRA~1 and MICROS~2 may be different, or
<code>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Outlook.exe" -c IPM.Note /m "% 1"</code>
In both cases, there should be no space after the % symbol; I put it in because the browser messes up things otherwise.