Lounger
    Thanks

Show all cells, print only some of them

A user converted a file from Lotus into Excel 97. He would like to keep all the rows and columns visible on the screen, but only wants to print certain rows. In Lotus, you can use the || (double pipe sign) and that row will not print. Do you know if there is a similar function available in Excel 97?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Show all cells, print only some of them

Maybe you should hide the rows that you do not want to print, using Format >> Row >> Hide. And unhide it after printing. Sorry, I just noticed when reading your mail after posting my reply that you do want to keep the rows visible on the screen.
    Of course, you can add a few lines of code to the WorkBook_BeforePrint event to hide the lines you do not want to print, print the sheet and then unhide them. But, I don't know if this is what you want (I mean using VBA??)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I do not know of any quick and easy way to accomplish this in Excel. However, there are several things that you can do.

1- Write a VBA procedure to hide the rows which the user does not want printed, print the sheet, and then unhide the rwos hidden in step 1. If the user always wants to print the sheet this way, then you could put the code to hide and unhide in the before print event procedure to make it automatic.

2- Create a second sheet with links to the cells on the original sheet that are to be printed. When you print, always print this sheet which does not display the undesired data. If you use this approach, the second sheet should probably be protected to keep the user from accidentally tying over the links.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks, I'll give that a look at.
    Tom

Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,
    I'll give that a try. I also suggested that the user try using custom views, one showing the whole sheet, and then switch to one that has the non printing cells hidden. I haven't heard back yet.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Thanks

I agree, a custom view for printing and for viewing is the way I'd do it.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

BAM

Hi Tom,

As another idea, if they do use Custom Views they could also incorporate the Report Manager and create a report to print the view with the data hidden.

That way they do not have to manually switch between the views.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

I checked out the Report Manager and that looks like just the ticket. Thanks,
    Tom

BAM

Hi Tom,

I you do use the Report Manager, another problem that can arise is if you click the "Help" command in the dialog box an error may occur along the lines of "Can not find *.HLP"

The solution is to copy the main help file and give the copy the same name as the missing Help file.

The problem exists in Excel 2000 as well, however I don't believe the same solution will work since Office
    2000 uses HTML for the Help files and they need to be in a HTML Compiled Help format.

In any event you can still get Help for the Report Manager through the main Help manual or from the "Critter".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the heads up on help. We'll go to the regular help.
    Tom