Star Lounger
    Thanks

The document template is not valid (Word 2002, SP3)

When I make a change to a style in a document and tell Word to save the change to the document's template, the template is apparently being corrupted in some way. The only evidence of this is that when I next open the document, Word tells me that "The document template is not valid." If I open the template itself and re-save it explicitly as a .DOT (which it already was), the problem is resolved...until the next time I change a style and save the change to the template. I'm not finding anything relevant in the Microsoft Knowledge Base base. Any suggestions or similar experience?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: The document template is not valid (Word 2002,

Hi Larry:
    Is this a custom template? There may be corruption in either the template or the document. Try making a new document based on the template & see if the same thing happens. If it does not, we can try steps relating to document corruption. If it does, then try making a new template. You can then copy the styles over to the new template, but be aware that you may be transferring the corruption.
    Hope this helps,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil.
    It is a custom template, and the problem affects all documents created based on it. I'll try recreating the template as you suggested, building it from scratch if the Organizer "infects" the new version with the same problem.

P.S. I've been away from the listserv for a while due to a firewall where I was contracting, but I've jumped the wall now and am working elsewhere. It's good to know that help is still available.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: The document template is not valid (Word 2002, SP3)

I would normally see this message if the file path to the template is not correct. Have you checked to verify that the path to the template as listed in Tools > Templates and Addins is valid?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the path is correct; and after re-saving explicitly as a .DOT there is no further problem. The path is rather long, however. I'm not at work now, but I'd guess that it's about 50 characters. I'll try an experiment tomorrow, but feel like I'm clutching at straws.

Apart from the filename extension, what can I examine in a .DOT file (using a text editor) to help confirm that the file is not being converted accidentally into a .DOC ? The behavior is just as though Word was making that type of change for some reason.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Larry

I have never gone looking to see how to differentiate a real template from a file named dot but Word can do it for me. If you OPEN a real template then visit the Tools > Templates and Addins dialog then the attached template field will be greyed out and unavailable (you can't attach a template to a template). This is not the case for a misnamed document.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew....good thinking. Even when the problem occurs I still see the template listed (and accessible) in the Templates & Add-ins dialog, so that bit is not the one being flipped. If I ever figure this out I'll post the solution.