Thread: Netscape Mail

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Netscape Mail

I am tring to move a client's Netscape 7.1 mail form old to new PC (Win98 to XP). I copied the NetscapeUsers folder which contains all the mail, settings, etc. to the new PC, installed Netscape 7.1 via download and created a new profile for Jeff. The profile points to ProgFilesNetscapeUsers. When I start mail it asks me for the password, then says Welcome Jeff, but doesn't show any old mail in inbox. It has all the correct mail settings and gives me new mail, but not old. Anyone know what I did wrong?
    Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Netscape Mail

I'll take your word for it, that the profile is in the Program Files directory, since I would have thought that, under XP, it would have been in the Documents and Settings folder for the logged on user. But, you need to make absolutely sure, because that may be your problem. Again, when you said settings I assume you were talking about MAIL settings only and NOT global preferences. Really, you did more than is usually needed. What you should do is copy only the actual mail files themselves, i.e. on his old machine it will be files with names like Inbox, Sent, Trash and so on, with NO file extension. The files of the same names WITH an extension are settings that are not worth copying, such as sort sequence and so on. Makes the job more work than is necessary. Anyway, put those files with no extension in the directory you're sure is the current, new profile and then fire up Netscape. It should, if you have the files in the correct folder, recognize the mail.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I followed your advice and created a dummy profile, to see where XP wanted to put it. Yes, it wanted to put it in Docs & settingsuserappdata... So I created a correct profile, moved the mail data to the correct folder (after a couple of false starts) and Eureka! all the old mail, drafts, etc appeared. My only problem (minor) is that I'm now left with several extra Local Folders in the left-hand window. How do I get rid of them? Should I changed the address of Local Folders in Mail & Newsgroup Acct SettingsServer Settings?. That now points to the bogus folder in ProgFilesNetscape.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't ever done so, but I'm pretty sure that if they're bogus, you should be able to delete them without harm. As I said, I'm not sure, but worse come to worse, you could always uninstall and start over, now that you know what the problem was, and as long as you "protect" those mail files and don't let 'em get deleted.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Look up the Local Follers with Windows Explorer. (To point Windows Explorer at a Local Folder: 1. Click on the Local Folder in NS Mail to see "View Settings for this account", 2. Click on that link, 3. Copy the complete entry in the Local Directory field, and paste it into the WinExplorer.

If these are bogus files, the Inbox, etc. file sizes will be much smaller than your real Inbox. Then you'll know which ones you can remove. With things like email, you can never be too careful not to delete the wrong ones. You could change the folder name (Like to "Local Folders Extra1") in Explorer for several days before you completely remove them. Just In Case.

Errol

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did exactly what you said and safely deleted the bogus ones. They were from the default and other profiles, which I deleted using Profile Mgr, after saving the mail to a Temp folder. Thanks for the help.