Thread: LP to Computer

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LP to Computer

Howdy,
    I would like to record some of my old LP's onto my hard disc as .wav files and then burn them onto CD's. I have a turntable and a Creative Labs recorder. Do I need a pre-amp? Can I record directly onto my hard drive or should I use another program? How do I convert .wav files to MP3's?? Anyone "ever been experienced" as Jimi Hendrix would say?
    Thanks...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: LP to Computer

My method for doing this is to connect the line output from the stereo amplifier directly to the input on my Audigy sound card. I record each side of a record as one long WAV file, and then edit it to break it into individual tracks. My editor of choice is CoolEdit Pro (pricey but I have it for other reasons) but many will do the job.

If you want to remove Rice Krispies (snap, crackle and pop) from the WAV file, there are a few utilities out there but I have not used any personally because the edited version almost always sounds worse. Thus I cannot give you a personal recommendation on what to try, but I will say this: anything automated is going to be imperfect.

Conversion to MP3 format can be done in several different ways. I prefer to use the LAME encoder for this because the results are second to none - superb quality. Have you considered converting to WMA format instead, which results in smaller file sizes with the same or better quality?
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Personally I would avoid using MP3 files, because the compression seriously reduces the quality. Unless you're very tight on space!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My biggest problem is my stereo equipment is upstairs and my computer is downstairs. I don't own a laptop. I have removed my turntable from the stereo system simply becuase it's never used, however, I have a couple of crates of albums I'd like to save on CD's, so I was thinking the CD route. I have hooked up my Nakamichi cassette deck to my computer, but that was several years ago, before CD burners, and had some success recording some sound clips for Windows exit and start etc. That's why I was going the preamp route only if necessary.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Radio Shack here in the US distributes an "Audio Video Signal Sender" that might allow you to do this wirelessly. I could not say whether a preamp would work with your turntable but I suspect that it would, if you can get acceptable line-level quality out of it.
    -Mark