New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook bizarre nickname behaviour (10.2605.2605)

I'm using an early release of Outlook XP in single user mode (I know, I should upgrade but let's put that aside). I'm having a very peculiar and troubling issue with Outlook.
    I frequently have to send e-mail messages to our administrative assistant at our plant. Often there is rather sensitive information. When I type her name in the "TO" box the nickname list pops-up and I select her name from the list. The "TO" box updates and shows her nickname and her e-mail address correctly. I finish the message and hit "send". That's when the trouble starts. Somewhere on the way to the outbox Outlook decides that the message should go to someone else and changes the name. The names it picks bear no resemblance to her name. Her initials are DO and I have inadvertently had messages go to a PL, TL and GW. Fortunately the first two were family members who advised me of the problem and the third was our customs broker who also advised me.

The real danger is that I have entries in my address book for competitors and I have a terrible fear that one day a message containing sensitive business info will go to the wrong hands.

I believe the problem lies with the nickname file although I don't know how it got this messed up. If I click the "TO" button and pick her e-mail address from the list it seems to work fine. From reading posts in the lounge here I have deleted all the nickname entries for DO and the people that Outlook has decided to send her messages to. We'll see how that works out.

Anyway, I wanted to post this bizarre problem as I wondered if anyone else had ever encountered something like this. Obviously this doesn't give me a very good feeling about "Trustworthy computing."

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook bizarre nickname behaviour (10.2605.26

<UL><LI>You have just set out one of the best rationales for getting rid of an early release that I have ever seen. Continuing not to upgrade to a full version of Outlook - from your description of the potential business costs seems to be a material false economy. <LI>Have you tried deleting your Nicknames file? - which should be in something like Documents and Settings[username]Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. It has an RWZ extension. You will need to have both "Show hidden files and folders" checked and "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked under Start|Settings|Control Panel|Folder Options|View in order to access the file. It should be in something like Documents and Settings[username]Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. It has an NK2 extension. You will need to have both "Show hidden files and folders" checked and "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked under Start|Settings|Control Panel|Folder Options|View in order to access the file.[/list]HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the input. I'm certainly aware of the potential for disaster. I'm pretty much resigned to forking out the money for the upgrade although who's to say that it will fix the problem (that's a big concern!)?

My "fix" for the moment is that I either use the long route of selecting her email address directly from the Outlook address book which has always worked correctly or looking at the Outbox folder after I send her a message to make sure it's still showing her address. If it's correct there it always goes out correctly.

I haven't deleted the nickname file as yet but I am testing out deleting all the nicknames for the affected addresses. To the best of my knowledge it has only ever occured on messages to this one person.

As noted when you type the name the nickname list pops up and I select her name. It puts her in the "TO" box and even shows the correct email address beside the alias. Somewhere after you click "SEND" the alias and address change to someone else altogether.

I guess I'm trying to find out if anyone else has ever had this happen to them and what versions of Outlook they use. This is from a full version of Office Pro, not a downloaded file. I can't bear the thought of forking out the extra dollars to MS and finding that the problem still exists.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The standard "fix" is to delete the NK2 file. If you do a Search on the Lounge on either NK2 (or NICK), you will find that this can be a common problem. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Very good then, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the advice. I knew I could count on the lounge for an Office solution. (Although I'm a new user to the lounge I've been a "WOWser" for a good many years).