Lounger
    Thanks

Replying vs. Fowarding (Outlook 2K)

I am interested in knowing if I can keep an original bitmap with an e-mail when I REPLY to the original message. As it is right now, my company often sends screen shots and once they arrive to me, I review and respond. However, in responding it does not keep the bitmap yet gives me a text string that says << OLE Object: Picture (Device Independent Bitmap) >> and no picture. Yet when I forward the message it keeps the bitmap in place for the next person to view.

Often we use these bitmaps to share brief e-mails on a certain subject, order, account, customer, ect.

Any one know how to keep the bitmap in its original and VIEWABLE state on a REPLY?

Thanks for the help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Replying vs. Fowarding (Outlook 2K)

As far as I know this is "By design" for most email clients.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Sounds as though you are using RTF format, which I never use. Both plain text and HTML replies also drop all the attachments, while forwards preserve them. At least MS is consistent! I suspect that most people use forward and then copy and paste the addresses.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe this is by design. Why transfer an attachment back to the person who sent it to you? Since that person sent it they should still have it. If this happens often then it might be worthwhile to set up a Web page where the screen shots can be posted-then just email the link. The link will remain whether you reply or forward.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I have an answer: when you are co-editing a document and sending it back and forth. It bewilders me that Outlook (XP & 2003) has an option to "Add properties to attachments to enable Reply with Changes" which misbehaves by merging changes without adequate recipient control, but there is no simple "Reply with Attachments" optiion. Yes, I know that no other mail client has this, but it's my simple opinion that this would be valuable in many business environments.

(You may have guessed this is one of my many Outlook peeves.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

John,
    Do you know of ANY email program that will do what you want? ifso which one?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, we've discussed this <!post=before,338910>before<!/post>. I don't know of one, and that's why I stated "I know that no other mail client has this". That it hasn't been done doesn't diminish it's prospective utility.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS