Thread: Searching (XP)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Searching (XP)

How do I use a form to search for an item? For example I have the fields Name, Company and City. I want to search for a specific company names? Or I would like to see all the companys a person would manage by typing that persons name in. Is that possible?

I know i can create a query for each search item, but what is the fastest way to do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Searching (XP)

Access has several ways of searching and filtering built in:

Edit | Find (or the Find button on the toolbar) will let you search for a value you type. You can specify whether you want to search only on the field that was active when you selected Edit | Find, or in all fields, and whether you're searching for a complete value, a partial value or the start of the value.

There are various filtering options:
    - Click in a person's name and click the Filter by Selection button on the toolbar. The form will only display records for that person.
    - Select part of a company name and click the Filter by Selection button. The form will only display records for companies whose name contains the selected text.
    - Click in a city, then right-click and select Filter Excluding Selection. The form will display records for all cities except the one you clicked in.

If you put a new combo box on the form with the 'Control Wizards' option on the Control Toolbox on, Access will start the Combo Box Wizard. The third option is to create a combo box to search for records. The wizard will prompt you to provide the necessary information, then create a combo box and the code needed for searching.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Combo box sounds more like where i am going. I would really want to type a name in a form, and the results of a table will be displayed. When you talk coding is it heavy coding?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you create the combo box through the Combo Box Wizard, you won't have to do any coding yourself.

- Create a form based on your table; you can use a wizard or design it yourself.
    - Make sure that the Control Wizards button on the Toolbox is on (down)
    - Select the Combo Box on the Toolbox, then click on the form.
    - The Combo Box Wizard will appear, offering 3 options.
    - Select the 3rd one, then click Next.
    - Specify the field (or fields) in which you want to search, then click Next.
    - Adjust the column width if necessary, then click Next.
    - Specify a label for the combo box (preferably something instructive), then click Finish.

The Wizard will write the code for you; if you are interested, you can view it in the Visual Basic Editor.

Save the form, then open it in form view. Select a value from the combo box to see how it works.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I must not be explaining the question right. i will try to figure it out on my own. I think i will have to do some coding. I will post my results once I get there. Thanks for all your help.