New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Access and Windows ME (Access 2003)

I noticed you were a 2 atar lounger on line in the access area. Maybe you can answer a quick question. Can I install a current stand alone MS Access on a Windows ME operating system. Currently I have the student version of Office (it doesn't have Access). I need Access to create mail labels. When I have asked at computer stores, they have told me I CAN NOT load the current version of MS Access on a Windows ME machine. I need to update my OS to XP. I am confused. Can you help?

Curt

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Access and Windows ME (Access 2003)

I am not a 2StarLounger, but I'll try to answer.

The current version of Microsoft Office is Office 2003. According to Office Professional Edition 2003 System Requirements, Office 2003 Pro (of which Access 2003 is a part) requires Windows 2000, Windows XP or later. So Windows ME is not supported. Microsoft does not sell earlier versions of Office (such as Office XP) any more, but you may be able to get it if you search on Internet. Office XP will run on Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP (or higher) (see Office XP System Requirements.

But perhaps you don't really need Access. You should be able to create mailing labels using Word, or a combination of Excel (for the data) and Word (for the labels). I assume you already have those.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Your answer confirms what I have heard. Too bad.

I already have Excel and Word, but can't seem to create mailing labels. They look correct on the Merged Word document, but they don't print correctly.

I use to be able to do this (before I got ME and Office XP-nonprofessional). For some reason, when I try to print merge the file, the format changes from a standard Avery 8620 - 3 across label to another unrecognizable format. I am going to try a new print driver (HP 5mp), but I am baffled on how to proceed.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If getting a new printer driver doesn't help, you might start a new thread about the label problem in the Word forum.