Thread: NTFS Backups

Thanks

NTFS Backups

OK, so, for the sake of this discussion, I've decided to change over from FAT32 to NTFS... now:

Usually, in FAT32, I would make a ghost backup every week or so of my mail partition... but when I did the same thing on the NTFS partition I had, there was one big difference:

Usually, I could retrieve any file from the ghost image through the ghost explorer, which allows single file extraction. But when you try this on an NTFS partition, you get a message that this will cause excessive swapping (which, believe me it does) unless all parts of the image are available simu;taneously.

This is no problem if your ghost image resides on your (other) hard drive, but have you ever had to swap out cd's or dvd's every 15 seconds or so for about an hour? Not pretty.

So how do I get around this dilemma?

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NTFS Backups

Well, Chuck, I don't know nuthin' 'bout no Ghost, but I can understand the problem for someone who makes partition images on CD disks! It has always seemed to me that making partition images on CD is asking for a myriad of difficulty. The media just isn't capable of handling large amounts of data on a disk or two. So, if you're got an "image" in multiple CDs you should expect the delays you're describing in mapping that image for single file extraction. Having said that, I happen to use Acronis TrueImage to make backup images, BUT I do so to another machine on my LAN, dedicated for backup purposes. When I ask TrueImage to let me see an NTFS partition for single file retrieval, it takes it only a minute or so to map that image as a drive letter, at which time I can pick the file(s) I want to retrieve. I suggest to you that, whether or not Ghost is the problem, making the image to CDs is bound to cause this kind of delay.

Thanks

Al:

But you know, this is NOT the case with FAT32...

I can have a Norton Ghost image on 15 CD's or DVD's, and restores are done sequentially. Similarly, if I need a specific file, I open up the Ghost image in Ghost Explorer (inserting only the first and last cd/dvd of the sequence), select the file, and then I am told which CD/DVD to insert, and the file is restored...

But somehow, in the file structure of the NTFS system, it stores the files in pieces on several cd's/DVD's, and again, NOT sequentially.

Quite different. I'm a poor soul Al... I don't have no "other machine(s) to back up to, so...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure if this is due NTFS or the way Ghost manages the backup process. Granted, I don't use Ghost anymore and I rarely do single file extraction, but...I would be curious if this phenomenon persists with other backup software when the image is created from NTFS.
    -Mark

Thanks

Mark:

Got me on that one too, buds... I don't have any similar backup software (Drive Image?), so I got no test process available... it is a pain though...

The thing is, from every type of software I seen, they aren't going to back up open files, which is lots, if you are backing up within Windows. And a backup outside of same will lose LFN support, won't it? Hence my dependence on Ghost and drive images as opposed to file backups, except for the data files.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Drive Image 7 has an explorer utility which can restore single files from a backup of an NTFS partition.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd have to suggest that you download a free trial of Acronis TrueImage to see if it "behaves" any better with a CD backup than Ghost. As I said, its performance is more than acceptable for single file restoration when stored on another hard drive, whether FAT32 or NTFS.

Thanks

Al:

I'll give it a shot... thanks...

Regards,
    Chuck

With high hope for the future, no prediction is ventured.
    -- Abraham Lincoln