2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

style's space before not working (2000)

Hi, I am setting up a template for a project using styles. I have set up a Heading1 style with 36pt of space before the paragraph, which when applied to a heading will apply all formatting EXCEPT the space before. Can anyone tell me why it's doing this (most annoying).

The full style (in case it helps) is: Normal + font 12pt, bold, small caps, color black, indent left -1.5cm flush left, space before 36pt, keep with next, level 1, border: box (single solid line auto, 1/2 pt line width), border spacing 4pt.

Regards
    Roger

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: style's space before not working (2000)

Is this happening at the top of the page only or elsewhere as well?

By default Word will ignore the paragraph space before if the paragraph happens to fall on the top of a page (but not when forced there by a page break or 'page break before'). To investigate this behaviour you might want to examine the options in Tools > Options > Compatibility.

In the later versions of Word you can ignore paragraph spacing between paragraphs of the same style but I don't remember that being in Word 2000.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, thanks Andrew. I'm not completely sure what the answer to your question is, I'll keep an eye on what is happening with regards to the "top of the page" situation. I have been noticing this problem happening when I modify the style. I can "force" the formatting to come out right by re-applying the style, which is a bit of a pain, as it's only the space before that needs to be "forced".

I think I'll be OK now, as once I get the template working the way I want, it won't really matter much. I've not been doing very much with Word recently, so am on a forced refresher course with this particular project. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

When you change a style, paragraphs in that style should reflect the change immediately, but if their paragraph formatting has been customized in any way with direct formatting, then it might not happen. You can use the shortcut Ctrl+Q to force the selected paragraph(s) to conform to the paragraph formatting settings in their underlying style. (I think you only need to click in the paragraph if you only want to change one at a time.) (And you probably know, although it isn't relevant to Space Before, that you can use Ctrl+Spacebar to force the selected text to conform to the font formatting settings of its underlying style.) Hope this speeds things up at least a bit.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Styles: Space Above

First, I should point out that I have tested this on Word 2000 only. The venerable John McGhie, MVP, has written extensively about styles & "space before". My results differ from his in only one respect, mentioned below.

A paragraph starts at the top of a page for the following reasons:
    1. Word naturally sends it to the top of the next page because it has reached the bottom margin of the previous page.
    2. It has the paragraph attribute of "keep with next" & must travel to the next page to accomplish this.
    3. It is the first paragraph in the document or the first paragraph of the current section & is started by a new page (or odd or even) section break.
    4. The style has the "page break before" attribute set.
    5. The user has inserted a manual page break before the heading.

I find the following regarding "space above":
    1. There are two compatibility options that should be turned on(Tools/Options/Compatibility):
    a. suppress extra line spacing at top of page
    b. suppress space before after hard page or column break

Although, John McGhie says these are just for show, i.e. that they affect the display only, I find that they affect the printing under some circumstances mentioned below.

1. Regardless of whether those options are on or off, if your style has space above and Word forces the heading to the next page, the space above will be suppressed. The heading can be forced to the next page because:
    a. It naturally falls there.
    b. The heading style has the paragraph attribute "keep with next".

2. Regardless of whether those options are on or off, if your style has the paragraph attribute "page break before" OR if it is the first paragraph in the document or current section, the "space before" will NOT be suppressed under any conditions. This is true regardless of whether it would have otherwise been at the top of a page. There is one thing that you can do: you can place the insertion point in the first paragraph & press Ctrl+0 (above the P) & this will close up the first paragraph.

3. If you use a manual page break just before your heading style, it will be suppressed only if you have "suppress space before after hard page or column break". Having the option "suppress extra line spacing at top of page" doesn't affect the display or the printing.

Lounger
    Thanks

Did you check "don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing" in Options-Compatibility? When we switched to 2K from 97, we found our styles no longer applied space before even tho it was part of the style -- someone here told me to take that option off and it did the trick.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:
    To the best of my recollection, that option only affects the amount of space between styles, not at the top of the page. If the option is checked, and you have a style with 12 points space below followed by a style with 6 points space above, you will have 18 points of space between the two paragraphs. If you uncheck the option, Word will use the greater (12 points).