Thanks

Pure virtual function call error (2000 SR1 with WIn 98)

I'm getting an error in Outlook that says Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! Program C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeOutlook.exe R6025 - pure virtual function call. There is an OK button and when you click on it, Outlook closes. This had been happening for a while sometimes when I created a new contact. Now after I have come back from a week away, It has done it almost as soon as I had opened Outlook. - it checked and downloaded my emails, then after a few seconds pause it popped up that error.

However - a new twist to this - I thought as I was writing this post that I ought to check what else is running. Ctrl-Alt-Del revealed only the things I would have expected to see apart from something just listed as Mdm. I stopped Mdm, whatever it is, and tried Outlook again, and it didn't produce the error. (Though it did again a few minutes later.)

So two questions (1) what can I do about the pure virtual function call error generally (2) what is this Mdm that seems to have had something to do with it on this occasion?

Ian

Thanks

Re: Pure virtual function call error (2000 SR1 with WIn 98)

One things that MDM could stand for is Machine Debug Manager, a Microsoft program that most people probably don't have a lot of use for. I'm not sure what its interaction might be with Outlook 2000, but if you don't need it, you may be able to turn it off in MSCONFIG.

Thanks

It does seem to be the Machine Debug Manager, and I have now turned it off in MSCONFIG as you suggest. How can I find out what put it on the start up list in the first place? It hasn't been running previously. - Ian

Thanks

> How can I find out what put it on the start up list in the first place? It hasn't been running previously.

Unfortunately, there's no master list of changes (with what program and when) to the Registry's Run and RunServices keys. There should be!! Actually, in some versions of Windows I think you can set up auditing on the Registry to keep track of changes, but the volume of information might get completely out of control, and they might all show that you (as the logged on user) made the change. Hmmm...