2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Office Help Javascript and Jave 2 Runtime Envir (2000 SP3)

I'm encountering a problem with MS Office help. When you look at any help topic you see words highlight in blue and underlined and words just hightlighted in blue. The underlined blue words take you to another help screen and the blue non-underlined words (INTERNET in the graphic below) show you the definition of the word you clicked on in a small javascript popup.

The javascript popups no longer work.

I don't know a lot about Javascript and Java and how they work. But I do know the machines at my company were updated recently with the Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.

I don't know when the definition popups broke exactly. I'm trying to figure out if the recent Java Environment upgrade caused it.

I've already tried repairing, then uninstalling and reinstalling MS Office. And the problem remains.

Does someone know if the Java Environment upgrade would have caused the Help to break? If not, what applications could break this feature? Ideas?

Thanks. Sarah
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Office Help Javascript and Jave 2 Runtime E

The definition popups were disabled with a security update for Office 2000. See MSKB 262767 for details.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, thanks Tony.

I found out the OCX file in the KB Article was updated in Office 2000 SP3. So that's when it had stopped working at my company. Thanks for the help.

Sarah

Thanks

I think there is a limited fix-for-the-fix that restores the help function you describe. If true, it usually will be mentioned in the technical details or FAQs in the detailed description of the patch or service pack.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

By removing manually ouactrl.ocx, you can get the Glossary functionality in all Off2k. So you have to weight the security risk vs. the functionality.