5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shared Info (2003)

I don't know if there is a solution for this but, here goes. I want an identical database on two seperate sites, with no network link to the sites, only email. I have a form on the database, which is partially filled in by a user on one site, and completed by the user on the other site, then returned. Can this be done in anyway at all? Even if by some other means than Access. I need User 1 to send info in the form to User 2. User 2 to complete his section and return it to User 1. Another problem is, I need Autonumber, that's why I thought database would be best.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Shared Info (2003)

Replication might be an answer to your needs - but Autonumber fields are a real problem with replicated databases. The usual solution is to use a random number rather than an incrementing number, but that may not serve your needs. To use replication succesfully, you would need the replication manager, and I don't know what the status of that is for 2003. Are you sure you need the complete database at both locations? A solution we have used from time to time is to use Excel to collect data and then simply send a copy of the back-end on a frequent basis - in many cases on a CD.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Shared Info (2003)

Another completely different track might be the following.

At the main site, the user partly completes the form, then clicks a button to email the data to the other site.

The user completes the data, replies, then the reply is automatically read into the database,.

This <post#=375038>post 375038</post#> from earlier in the year went into something similar at some length.
    Regards
    John