3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CTRL+Home (Word 2003)

I just switched to 2003 and I'm noticing some very odd keyboard behavior in Word. I have always used CTRL+Home and CTRL+END to go to the beginning or the end of a document. Now when I use CTRL+HOME the Find and Replace dialogue opens. I checked the Keyboard assignments for Find and Replace and only CTRL+H is assigned.

Another oddity. I've frequently used the delete key to delete backwards. I rarely use backspace. On some documents the Delete key didn't do anything, but backspace deleted the previous space or letter. I didn't see any common reason for Delete not to work.

I've got an extended keyboard. Initially I thought my old keyboard was failing, and switched to another. Same problem. So it's not the keyboard.

If I could find the "Go to the beginning of the document" command in the All Commands menu, I'd just assign the keystrokes.

Thanks for any help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CTRL+Home (Word 2003)

Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End work fine for me on 2003 (not that that helps you, but just so you know it's not a change in Word).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Control-Home is hijacked if you have set the option called Help for Wordperfect Users in Tools > Options > General. Try turning this off to get Ctrl-Home working as expected. I don't think this will help with your Delete key problem though so hopefully someone can post an answer to that teaser.

The biggest interface issue I have with Word 2003 is I cant select table columns with Alt-Click anymore. Scrolling to the top of the table and positioning the cursor just right is so much slower than the old way. Does anyone have a fast solution to this one?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Now I can start looking at other things. Maybe there are gremlins highjacking the keyboard.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't used Word 2003, but in 2000, if you have tracked changes in your document where the deletions are hidden, you can get this sort of behavior with the backspace or delete key. Make sure you turn on "Show all revisions" & see if that's part of the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

Help for Wordperfect Users was the problem. Things are working as before. I'm not sure how I would have figured that one out. Thanks.